Filling the gap...

Discuss about the Nephilim, Nefilim, F.O.T.N. and other projects by Carl McCoy. Stay on-topic, all off-topic posts will either be deleted or moved to General Chat or elsewhere.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

callan
Moonchild

Filling the gap...

Post by callan » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:42 am

Hey guys, am new to this forum but certainly not new to FOTN, been following a LONG time, since the late 80's.

We all know it takes Carl a long time to get anything in a format he can release and I wonder what people listen to to "fill the gap"

I found Paradise Lost whilst filling the gap.

Not quite FOTN but not too far away and I enjoy the power they put out, can be similar at times when they drop the metallica pose.

How about you ?
Life's hard, no-one gets out alive !
Kostas
Dawnrazor

Re: Filling the gap...

Post by Kostas » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:01 am

Welcome callan, nice to have you with us. I am not sure that any band can "fill in the gap", but there have always been great bands around to keep us going eg NFD, Edenhouse, the Garden of delight (which has now turned into Merciful Nuns) and of course the brand new Sisters of Mercy album :mrgreen:
"...we are the lost ones, in the company of bright angels."
REANIMATORS - GREEK LEGION

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Reanimat ... 1677029341
http://www.myspace.com/thesequelfotngr
saegeas
Psychonaut

Post by saegeas » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:18 am

Welcome, callan! Permit me to be the first to *cthulhu* you.

I don't have any substitute for FotN really -- like you say, there's a gap between them and other stuff, at least what's come my way. I like Godspeed You!Black Emperor and some of the other heavier post-rock stuff that happened, it achieves that big almost symphonic wash of sound the nephs often have. And the calm earnestness that declines to laugh at itself without breaking down egotistically. Irony is kind of an cop out in art, IMHO. It should inform it but not as a basis of expression, hence I don't care for Tool and co.

Most classical, while powerful and versatile, is usually a bit pompous and self-conscious by comparison.

Also, Slowdive (not everyone around here's a fan) and other shoegaze/dreampop can come close to Elizium in places.

I'd like to find more straight-forward rock (or blues?) that captures the edgy but essentially uplifting classics like Slow Kill, Moonchild, Blue Water, Laura, Preacher Man, ...

Some of the early ('86) live renditions of intrumental passages actually remind me of jazz, the way the band listens to each other and meshes, feeling their way together through the soundscape.

It occurred to me the other day that the nephs almost never have "solos", not sure if that's an important characteristic or not though.

Thanks for your interesting question! I've gone on waaaay too long here....

PS: Also not to omit more electro/trance stuff that has some resemblance to Psychonaut, Sumerland. Then there's the oddball Power / Phobia pair, which sounds like rockabilly meets country or something... I'd have to say FotN have expanded my musical horizons, you've gotta look everywhere to find comparisons. But nothing quite "does it"!
shackled
Watcher

Post by shackled » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:49 pm

Hi Callan!
Check out the "currently listening to" thread.
Lots of good stuff there... 8)
I sleep with poison dreams and a borrowed hope that died.
squishy
Nephilim

Post by squishy » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:57 pm

saegeas wrote:Slowdive (not everyone around here's a fan)
True, but let it not be said that Saegas is the only Slowdive fan in here.
remember what the doorknob said
caescarna
Moonchild

Post by caescarna » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:03 pm

squishy wrote:
saegeas wrote:Slowdive (not everyone around here's a fan)
True, but let it not be said that Saegas is the only Slowdive fan in here.

Indeed, I'm partial to "Avalyn", "Morningrise", and especially "She Calls." I like early Ride, MBV also.

Caescarna
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:12 pm

Oï ! *smoking*

Welcome aboard Ye Shipe of Fools. Any nation we can add to our much international rooster ? (One thing I love here ! *notworthy* )

Yes, I've wandered many way musically, from my childhood love Kate Bush and much variations in my taste… But apart from the obvious influences (Floyd being the most) I never really found anything like Ye Aulde Neffsters. Why, I even scoured some of this metal thingie trying to find something like Zoon… to no avail (it bores me to tears usually…)
On the PL front, to me, they had their nadir at "One second". Brilliant songwriting, more rock than metal, like today's Anathema (which I love — but nothing to with Ye Neffs)
I agree with Post Rock, but to me, it's the crescendos that does the trick ! :wink:
Some bands are made to remain unique. Maybe that's why they can attract such faithful devotees long past their prime…
Fundraiser. You know, it's like Hellraiser, but without the Cenobites, the blood and all that.
IN NOMINE NEMO !
Mark Anthony Quested
Leviathan

Post by Mark Anthony Quested » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:39 pm

callan wrote:Hey guys, am new to this forum but certainly not new to FOTN, been following a LONG time, since the late 80's.

We all know it takes Carl a long time to get anything in a format he can release and I wonder what people listen to to "fill the gap"

I found Paradise Lost whilst filling the gap.

Not quite FOTN but not too far away and I enjoy the power they put out, can be similar at times when they drop the metallica pose.

How about you ?
The Eden House
Last Rites
NFD
Katie Melua
Midnight Oil
And of course, Carl's past glories, Fields of the Nephilim and Nefilim

:mrgreen:
Yours, aye!

Mark Anthony Quested
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/markanthonyquested
Twitter - Mark Anthony Quested @MAQuested
"He posts, in confusion!"
weebleswobble
BayWatcher

Post by weebleswobble » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:15 am

Gap?

fcuking canyon mate

Welcome
The first bit sounds like Bruce Wayne, and the second bit sounds like Batman.
callan
Moonchild

Post by callan » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:18 am

A canyon indeed, seems like you are all in a similar place to me, there is nothing quite like it i know.

Even NFD and Eden House, who i think are great dont get there.

i am not sure what prevents carl from being more prolific but I hope that someday soon he raelises time is running out and he needs to get some of his back catatlogue/new stuff out there. the Fallen re-working would be fantastic to hear, I thought Hollow Dol lwas one of teh best FOTN tracks I evre did hear.
Life's hard, no-one gets out alive !
Mark Anthony Quested
Leviathan

Post by Mark Anthony Quested » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:22 am

weebleswobble wrote:Gap?

fcuking canyon mate

Welcome
I would not object to filling Katie Melua's gap, but that is something very personal. *whistle* :mrgreen:
Yours, aye!

Mark Anthony Quested
Mark Anthony Quested
Leviathan

Post by Mark Anthony Quested » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:29 am

callan wrote:A canyon indeed, seems like you are all in a similar place to me, there is nothing quite like it i know.

Even NFD and Eden House, who i think are great dont get there.

i am not sure what prevents carl from being more prolific but I hope that someday soon he raelises time is running out and he needs to get some of his back catatlogue/new stuff out there. the Fallen re-working would be fantastic to hear, I thought Hollow Dol lwas one of teh best FOTN tracks I evre did hear.
What prevents Carl being more prolific is his habit of massively falling out with record companies (Beggars Banquet and Jungle) and his likewise habit of being unable to see musical eye to eye with musicians past (Paul, Nod, Tony, Peter, etc). Plus he has other irons in his fire, including his work as Sheerfaith.

Fallen was a record that was put together by Jungle Records, comprising of demo material from the ill-fated 1997-1998 Fields of the Nephilim reunion. There apparently exists an alternative version that Carl was working on, which was effectively canned when Jungle released their version. Because it was released without his blessing and was essentially put together by the record label, Carl disowned Fallen and released a statement through The Watchman to that effect.

Hollow Doll was apparently a song originally written for Carl's Nefilim project (1992-1996), as I believe Simon Rippin and/or Paul Miles were credited as co-composers. It was rehashed for the ill-fated FOTN reunion. Likewise, Subsanity is a reworking of a Nefilim song called Sensorium.
Yours, aye!

Mark Anthony Quested
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:25 pm

Mark Anthony Quested wrote:I would not object to filling Katie Melua's gap, but that is something very personal. *whistle* :mrgreen:
:shock: She has a bad tooth??? :wink:
"It's probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in." -- Lyndon B. Johnson
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:28 pm

I fill the gap with what dies last: Hope. :|
"It's probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in." -- Lyndon B. Johnson
Lord Mureth
Nephilim

Post by Lord Mureth » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:21 pm

Tool are about the only band I've found that have the same 'atmosphere' in their best work.
Naphtalin
Moonchild

Post by Naphtalin » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:50 pm

markandre13 wrote:I fill the gap with what dies last: Hope. :|
Same for me. But I don't find it satisfactory.
Le site http://www.ClicAnimaux.com permet en un clic de nourrir gratuitement un animal abandonné.
Mark Anthony Quested
Leviathan

Post by Mark Anthony Quested » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:25 pm

markandre13 wrote:
Mark Anthony Quested wrote:I would not object to filling Katie Melua's gap, but that is something very personal. *whistle* :mrgreen:
:shock: She has a bad tooth??? :wink:
"Mind the gap! Mind the gap!", as they say in London.
Yours, aye!

Mark Anthony Quested
squishy
Nephilim

Post by squishy » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:24 pm

Lord Mureth wrote:Tool are about the only band I've found that have the same 'atmosphere' in their best work.
Agreed. But I've also found, much to my surpise, that there's something in Gazpacho's last three albums which does make me think of "Elizium". At least that's what my strange ears keep telling me.
remember what the doorknob said
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:39 am

squishy wrote:
Lord Mureth wrote:Tool are about the only band I've found that have the same 'atmosphere' in their best work.
Agreed. But I've also found, much to my surpise, that there's something in Gazpacho's last three albums which does make me think of "Elizium". At least that's what my strange ears keep telling me.
I dunno, I tried a song from the last one, but to me, it rang like Muse with a bit more guitars… :|
(Of course, IMHO and De gustibus et coloribus non discutandum, bollocksæ !!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )
Fundraiser. You know, it's like Hellraiser, but without the Cenobites, the blood and all that.
IN NOMINE NEMO !
GreatOldOne
Moonchild

Post by GreatOldOne » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:22 pm

nfd, last rites, Saints of Eden, Mission (when they make records), Eden House