set lists taped to monitors in may 1988

Discuss about the Nephilim, Nefilim, F.O.T.N. and other projects by Carl McCoy. Stay on-topic, all off-topic posts will either be deleted or moved to General Chat or elsewhere.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

Moonchild

set lists taped to monitors in may 1988

Post by 8889 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:38 am

'cajes' - endemoniada (paul's guitar work sounded like cajun style /steel guitar music)
'will' - love under will
'let it end' - chord of souls

anyone interested in the gear the nephs used to create the sound on the mark of the watchman tour? guitarist mag wrote an article on live set up late 1988. from memory, tony had two gallien krueger bass headsm 200MB or 400MB (?), ampeg 6 x 10 cabs plus a couple of 15's. he used a knackered 64 rickenbacker 4001. think paul used a gretsch white falcon.
saegeas
Psychonaut

Re: set lists taped to monitors in may 1988

Post by saegeas » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:56 pm

I for one find your posts most interesting, and although I never attended a Neph gig there are many here who have. Welcome and "keep posting"! Share the memories of those glory days.
oldnephilim
Nephilim

Post by oldnephilim » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:00 pm

cheers mate and welcome :D
“The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of man and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men who were of old, the men of renown.”
Moonchild

Post by 8889 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:48 pm

cheers :-) only joined, so... i'm 42 now :-:))) lost alot of old nephs stuff, indeed alot of other stuff too. used to have a setlist from bristol on mark of the watchman tour. still have my original 'for her light' tshirt. mark of the watchman tshirt and classic dawnrazor tees fell to bits after hitchin to so many gigs. did half of mark of the watchman, almost all of the next tour which was a ton of gigs, then others thereafter to 1990, but not after that year.

the best tour, having spoken to some older fans, seems to have been the electrostatic tour in 1987. in that year they played with punk bands, like four bands on the bill. I only really started listening to them in 1987 summer when I bought burning the fields. loved trees come down and back in gehenna. bought dawnrazor soon after. coming from leeds, at the time I was into stuff like ghostdance to be honest!

just to say that these bands had their followers like NMA militia, mish eskimos, nephs bonanzas. got pretty violent at some gigs, all territorial shit. fights were pretty normal during phobia. gigs in scotland were hectic, all the celtic and rangers fans piled in to barrowlands and battled with the english.

have been in touch with nod and paul a few years ago. chatted about 1988 and how they very graciously fed us from their riders. they seemed to live on tennents super. will post more often soon. c ya
shackled
Watcher

Post by shackled » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:46 am

Any info about gear is welcome. *smoking*
I sleep with poison dreams and a borrowed hope that died.
TheBoyNextDoor
Preacher Man

Post by TheBoyNextDoor » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:55 am

Welcome 8889! Keep on sharing stories from the past. :D *notworthy*
weebleswobble
BayWatcher

Post by weebleswobble » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:27 am

8889, groovy introduction *smoking*

what are your thoughts on:
  • Zoon
    Mystical Bollocks
    The new DVD
    The Eden House

:mrgreen:
The first bit sounds like Bruce Wayne, and the second bit sounds like Batman.
Moonchild

Post by 8889 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:23 pm

well, I was always into industrial, more electro. zoon was a real latecomer on the electro-industrial scene with a very generic style. not bad, good fun, but not original at all.

occult.1989.leeds 6: we had the local christian fundamentalists burn down our local magickal emporium 'the sorcerors apprentice' after a uk tv show, the cook report, linked the shop with all manner of heinous activities, none of which were true. 87-88 listening to and seeing alot of the nephs, I always thought that carl's blend of mixing a shit load of belief systems into his lyrics was a bit dodgy to be honest. I mean, buying a few of crowley's works, liber null, psychonaut etc. and admiring AOS. so what? everyone did at the time. I asked carl what 'trees come down' meant after one gig, he said, it means whatever you want it to mean lol. we've all seen the youtube video of him put on the spot (and in his place) when asked about the biblical nephilim. he stammers his way through a truly pitiful answer. just an embarrassment.

new DVD? didn't know there was one. there is no fields of the nephilim anymore. hasn't been since 1991.
like my local band the sisters, they finished in 1985.

eden house I like. NFD I like. last rites heard some of their music, but they'e gone to ground this year not sure why. rubicon were ok, love the video of the singer with loud hailer. track: 'insatiable'.
weebleswobble
BayWatcher

Post by weebleswobble » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:46 pm

I like you, apart from that comment about The Sisters. *whistle*
The first bit sounds like Bruce Wayne, and the second bit sounds like Batman.
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:04 pm

Welcome 8889
*notworthy*
Nice to read your comments and to find another long term fan of the Neph and brother in hobby/lunacy.
8889 wrote:we've all seen the youtube video of him put on the spot (and in his place) when asked about the biblical nephilim. he stammers his way through a truly pitiful answer. just an embarrassment.
Perhaps he just didn't know what he should be taking about :mrgreen: Or I would explain it that biblical as personal beliefs are personal and as such not easily answered in an interview which furthermore is not really a place like when you're talking with someone real having a normal conversation. Here the interviewer is but a spokesman and you're not in presence with whom will know to whom you're talking. Those two things put together can make anybody feel particularly uncomfortable.

8889 wrote:
there is no fields of the nephilim anymore. hasn't been since 1991.
like my local band the sisters, they finished in 1985.
You're a purist obviously!

8889 wrote:
last rites heard some of their music, but they'e gone to ground this year not sure why.
I'm not sure what you're implying? Are Last Rites over?

:idea: On the other hand it could be highly auspicious for everybody nostalgic of the original 5 line-up like it could be an opportunity for a reformation.

It's just a secret wish and a regret I know many people have kept since 1991, nothing against the new musicians whose contribution I believe everybody's now come to like and truly apreciate.
Moonchild

Post by 8889 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:44 am

von and mccoy are still going strong and they have a new generation of fans, i'm just writing in from another generation!

sisters. coming from leeds 6 and all the history of goth rock in that part of town, I guess nostaglia takes over. of course floodland was a great recording. I live in rome, italy these days and saw hussey here a few months ago. amazing :-) I shouted 'any sisters stuff mate?'. answer 'no mate' lol

ah well...

c ya