How did you first become aware of Nephilim's existence?

Discuss about the Nephilim, Nefilim, F.O.T.N. and other projects by Carl McCoy. Stay on-topic, all off-topic posts will either be deleted or moved to General Chat or elsewhere.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

mattnewcastle
Moonchild

Post by mattnewcastle » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:59 am

1987, newcaslte uni, just 18, saw a poster with the name on, imagined a indie pop band, borrowed a tape and realised they where exactly not an indie pop band and loved it.
Bourbakhi
Moonchild

Post by Bourbakhi » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:07 pm

a little bit later for me in 1990, it was in a night club on the beach,during a birthday;as we were very numerous, some of us (it was certainly Ghostwood,anorher user of this forum)bring their own disc and imposed it to the dj . all the others customer were a bit scared ...*smoking* ;
anyway it was "the watchman",and i get the cd the next monday.
i've missed their last gig in marseille and i still hav'nt forgive my father for this,and i'll probably never.
"In Carl We Trust"
shackled
Watcher

Post by shackled » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:30 pm

I was 18, and visiting my folks in Germany- 1989.

I had a girlfriend while I was there who was into the Sisters (like many others here) and I heard a track somewhere- "Who is THAT?" I asked. She didn't know, but her friends did...

We saw FotN the next summer at Loreley with Phillip Boa and The The.

Their show changed the way I understand and experience music.
It truly was a ritual.
gingerpazuzu
Nephilim

Post by gingerpazuzu » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:54 pm

Hi there + welcome to the Dawnrazor madness! :)
Lord Mureth
Nephilim

Post by Lord Mureth » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:52 pm

Hooooooowdy! :D
Blue Angel
Nephilim

Post by Blue Angel » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:56 pm

shackled wrote:I was 18, and visiting my folks in Germany- 1989.

I had a girlfriend while I was there who was into the Sisters (like many others here) and I heard a track somewhere- "Who is THAT?" I asked. She didn't know, but her friends did...

We saw FotN the next summer at Loreley with Phillip Boa and The The.

Their show changed the way I understand and experience music.
It truly was a ritual.
welcome shackled... enjoy your stay on dawnrazor, you are most welcome!!

:D
Fields of the Neffalump

Jism!
weebleswobble
BayWatcher

Post by weebleswobble » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:06 pm

A big nosh out to shackled, is the name based on a preference? *whistle*
The first bit sounds like Bruce Wayne, and the second bit sounds like Batman.
Blue Angel
Nephilim

Post by Blue Angel » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:01 pm

weebleswobble wrote:A big nosh out to shackled, is the name based on a preference? *whistle*
Change your avatar you nosher!
Fields of the Neffalump

Jism!
shackled
Watcher

Post by shackled » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:07 pm

weebleswobble wrote:A big nosh out to shackled, is the name based on a preference? *whistle*
Hehe. Sometimes... 8)

Thanks for the welcoming words.
I've been reading through all the posts and am impressed by the knowledge and passion expressed for the band.
oldnephilim
Nephilim

Post by oldnephilim » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:24 pm

shackled wrote:
Hehe. Sometimes... 8)

Thanks for the welcoming words.
I've been reading through all the posts and am impressed by the knowledge and passion expressed for the band.
Not a passion at all, we're all just complete weird ! :shock: Welcome to a rough and a hard place ! :D

(and weebles, change your avatar b.t.w)
“The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of man and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men who were of old, the men of renown.”
Jake
Moonchild

Post by Jake » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:05 pm

The Chart show 87 seeing Blue water on the indie chart remember liking it but wasn't until 2 years later i came across a cheap copy of Burning the Fields 12" and the Nephilim LP cheap in a local record shop, too em home loved em. was 15 at that time and had to go to the Brixton gig in June 89. Glad I did it was one of those life changing moments still look back as one of the best gigs I been to, along side the other time I saw them at Brixton on the Elizium tour. So that was that really- that's how the neph's made their mark on me.
Blue Angel
Nephilim

Post by Blue Angel » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:29 pm

Welcome Jake, enjoy your stay on dawnrazor.

And keep postin

:D
Fields of the Neffalump

Jism!
Jake
Moonchild

Post by Jake » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:21 pm

yeah i think I shall there was a particular post I found the other night before I was initiated which does elude me right now but I am sure it will find it.
Vadagh
Psychonaut

Post by Vadagh » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:11 pm

Must of been about 1988, just before I went to Uni.

I had a buddy that played The Nephilim one night when we were chillin'

I was entranced, then pottered of and bought all the LP's and singles by them I could find.

I've been a die hard fan since, I even have the FTN logo on my arm.

How many of you have tried to describe thier music to someone?

I've even manage to find a few converts to the cause amongst the younger generation :shock:

At the end of the day I'm just happy they ae about to enhance my auditory existence.
Give up all hope of heaven, you depraved shades:
I come to lead you to that other shore
Where fire and ice abound, and dark pervades.
Enoch
Dawnrazor

Post by Enoch » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:15 am

I'm really new to the Fields. Or the other way around. Anyway, there was a certain music magazine four years ago that contained a sampler with song called "New Gold Dawn" that blew me away. And there was something else on it, called "The many forms". And that's how I became a Last Rites fan :D I watched their website for ages, but the album just wouldn't appear for long after I bought their debut, even if the song was out, so I read about them. And so I found out that they were in a band called "Fields of the Nephilim" before founding their own thing.

And I bought Dawnrazor. It was awesomely deep, simple and fun at the same time. And I bought The Nephilim, which is my favourite work of art since then. And I bought Elizium, which I didn't get into - it left me hollow, tired and unsatisfied, so I had to buy the new one. I'd read Mourning Sun was "nothing new, same old goth rock" etc., but that was very untrue, as I found it a very moving, many layered and interesting album. It took me four years since the first contact, and then it happend very fast - four albums in a month, and one month later, the Wave Gotik Treffen. I was mesmerized by McCoy's presence, the music, his voice. It was a ritual - but I'm born too late, it seems, because the Last Exit For The Lost of the Visionary Heads DVD is sublime and will possibly never be reached anymore. Directly after the WGT last year, I found the Sumerland website, and then this here.

Btw, I like Elizium by now.

And I write too much when it's four in the morning and I've got music in my ear ;)
Coco
Dawnrazor

Post by Coco » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:41 pm

Nice, welcome to the Forum Enoch! 8)
Bee82
Moonchild

Post by Bee82 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:32 pm

Hi everyone. I'm really new to FOTN so I hope you will all accept me into your forum.

My friend gave me some Neph cd's to listen to a few months back and I have been completely hooked since. I can't believe I've missed out on them for so long.

I am really looking forward to getting to know you all on here and I have so much catching up to do.
weebleswobble
BayWatcher

Post by weebleswobble » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:45 pm

Bee82 wrote:Hi everyone. I'm really new to FOTN so I hope you will all accept me into your forum.

My friend gave me some Neph cd's to listen to a few months back and I have been completely hooked since. I can't believe I've missed out on them for so long.

I am really looking forward to getting to know you all on here and I have so much catching up to do.
Greetings *smoking*
The first bit sounds like Bruce Wayne, and the second bit sounds like Batman.
Rorschach
Dawnrazor

Post by Rorschach » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:14 pm

Welcome to the Madhouse :D

The more the merrier.

Rorschach.
Lord Mureth
Nephilim

Post by Lord Mureth » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:59 pm

Howdy! :D