How did you first become aware of Nephilim's existence?

Discuss about the Nephilim, Nefilim, F.O.T.N. and other projects by Carl McCoy. Stay on-topic, all off-topic posts will either be deleted or moved to General Chat or elsewhere.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

Stranger
Psychonaut

How did you first become aware of Nephilim's existence?

Post by Stranger » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:22 pm

I'm not talking about when you became a fan, but when you very first heard of them.

The very first solid memory I have of their name is when they were mentioned by a therapist saw in my early teens! Strange, isn't it. We were talking about hypnosis, and he randomly mentioned FOTN as good music for hypnosis. (the guy was in his mid-30's, sort on ex- goth/punk)
Badlander
Leviathan

Post by Badlander » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:34 pm

Pretty simple : I had a friend who was very much into FotN. I used to play RPGs with that guy.
And when the promise was broken, I cashed in a few of my dreams
weebleswobble
BayWatcher

Post by weebleswobble » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:16 pm

Saw someone with A Nephilim print on their bikers-did some legwork~history.....
The first bit sounds like Bruce Wayne, and the second bit sounds like Batman.
Mont Ventoux
Psychonaut

Post by Mont Ventoux » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:36 am

6 years ago a friend of mine gave me a copy of Elizium.
In the first period I was very confused about that record and about that kind of music, it entered in me slowly, with the passing of time.
It's music for the mind, for your inner thoughts, for your dreams with open eyes...it's simply an experience to live.
Timoth
Dawnrazor

Post by Timoth » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:58 pm

Got into the sisters through a guy at school, and he lent me a nephs tape, a compiliation of dawnrazor and the nephilim. he said 'not really into em but you might like em' it blew me away at the time and still 15 years later got the nephs on constant rotation, and even got the FN logo tattooed. what a sad fish i am! :roll:
Insert unfunny witicism here!
Nic
The Watchman

Post by Nic » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:10 pm

Timoth wrote:...and even got the FN logo tattooed. what a sad fish i am! :roll:
You and me both partner. :wink:
When routine bites hard and ambitions are low...
Prince of shadows
Moonchild

Post by Prince of shadows » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:55 pm

Through a friend of a girlfriend. she played Dawnrazor and i was hooked.Also if said girlfriend was being a bitch to me i just played vet for the insane as it freaked her out and scared her shitless.
"sweet dreams my angel"
TheBoyNextDoor
Preacher Man

Post by TheBoyNextDoor » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:02 pm

It was 1992 and I borrowed a tape from a friends neighboor (we were into Sisters a lot at the time) with LLB's An irony of Fate on B-side and Fields' The Nephilim on A. I got stuck on LLB immediately and didn't bought my first Fields record until a couple of years later (or 1 year later, whatever). I remember it taking some while... wonder why though. :shock:
Stranger
Psychonaut

Post by Stranger » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:46 pm

Nic wrote:
Timoth wrote:...and even got the FN logo tattooed. what a sad fish i am! :roll:
You and me both partner. :wink:
Hey, I can't think of a better logo to get tattooed!
thegranny
Leviathan

Post by thegranny » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:56 pm

I dont remember exactly. my parents are FOTN fans so....I listened to their music as a background at home while I was playing and stuff......but I didnt pay too much attention (I was too little). :lol:

but I do remember I was scared of Moonchild's beginning. I though Carl's voice was a devil who came to kill me or smthing :mrgreen: (and now I love that song)
"Cover his face so that he may not see the light."
http://www.elusive.no
R.I.P. Jan Kenneth.
wild bill buttock
Nephilim

Post by wild bill buttock » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:18 pm

One of the DJ's at The Powerhouse (An alternative night in Birmingham) used to play "Trees come down" most weeks.When I fially asked what it was I was too pissed to remember who it was by.
weebleswobble
BayWatcher

Post by weebleswobble » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:19 pm

The best thing about being an old fart, when discovered it wasn't too long before they were playing your local flea-pit. :mrgreen:
The first bit sounds like Bruce Wayne, and the second bit sounds like Batman.
GreboGoth
Dawnrazor

Post by GreboGoth » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:21 am

wild bill buttock wrote:One of the DJ's at The Powerhouse (An alternative night in Birmingham) used to play "Trees come down" most weeks.When I fially asked what it was I was too pissed to remember who it was by.
The Powerhouse.... Ya Old sod.

Used to love it there.

I can just imagine it.......

"Oi dj man who was that?"

" Fields of the Nephilm"

"Eh?"

"Fields of the Nephilim"

" Feels like a heffalump ????"

.......Or was that me???

Cant actually remember when they first appeared on my radar. I know I was into the Sisters then along came these other bands and I guess they were one of them
scardwel
Leviathan

Post by scardwel » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:42 am

I saw the 'Blue Water' video on The Chart Show in 1987 - a now (sadly defunct) UK music programme that was shown on Channel 4 in the mid 80s to early 90s.
I'd never seen or heard anything quite like it before.
I went to see them in concert the following year and the rest is history.
Last Facebook For The Blocked!
VizhiGoth
Moonchild

Post by VizhiGoth » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:52 pm

While belatedly trying to form my own musical taste in ’86 I was picking up singles by bands like the Mission, Sisters, AAE etc, and read of a "similar" band in Sounds (I think? or Melody Maker), which led me to buy a copy of “Power”.

I wasn’t blown away by the record, but it nagged at me, leading me to go see the band at the Marquee…
Nekyia
Psychonaut

Post by Nekyia » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:54 pm

Badlander wrote:Pretty simple : I had a friend who was very much into FotN. I used to play RPGs with that guy.
exactly the same for me. I remember playing the Call of Cthulhu RPG with the guy singing the lyrics to the Watchman - the very first Neph song I've hard.
"worms'-meat : The finished product of which we are the raw material." - Ambrose Bierce
wild bill buttock
Nephilim

Post by wild bill buttock » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:38 pm

wild bill buttock wrote:One of the DJ's at The Powerhouse (An alternative night in Birmingham) used to play "Trees come down" most weeks.When I fially asked what it was I was too pissed to remember who it was by.
Never actually got round to finishing that post.

Anyway "Trees come down" and the band I was too pissed to remember the name of stuck with me and it wasn't till I ,like scardwell,saw "Blue water" on the chartshow that I finally remembered who it was.
And Do you think I could get hold of a copy of "Burning the fields" anywhere in those days?No chance.It wasn't till 1990 that I finally tracked a copy down.

And Yes Greebogoth the powerhouse was brilliant-Wednesday nights,50p in and 90p a pint of snakebite and wrecking with the psychobillies.Happy days!
Big Si
Dawnrazor

Post by Big Si » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:35 pm

scardwel wrote:I saw the 'Blue Water' video on The Chart Show in 1987 - a now (sadly defunct) UK music programme that was shown on Channel 4 in the mid 80s to early 90s.
Aye, friday nights on Channel 4.

Then it moved to saturday morning's after kid's TV and lost the plot :roll:
GreboGoth
Dawnrazor

Post by GreboGoth » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:19 pm

Big Si wrote:
scardwel wrote:I saw the 'Blue Water' video on The Chart Show in 1987 - a now (sadly defunct) UK music programme that was shown on Channel 4 in the mid 80s to early 90s.
Aye, friday nights on Channel 4.

Then it moved to saturday morning's after kid's TV and lost the plot :roll:
I remember seeing a snippet of Rosetta's video for "The Witch" on the Indie chart rundown once. :shock: :shock: