How did you first become aware of Nephilim's existence?

Discuss about the Nephilim, Nefilim, F.O.T.N. and other projects by Carl McCoy. Stay on-topic, all off-topic posts will either be deleted or moved to General Chat or elsewhere.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

gingerpazuzu
Nephilim

Re: How did you first become aware of Nephilim's existence?

Post by gingerpazuzu » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:12 pm

Hello Jen O.Side + welcome :D :D
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:46 pm

ian wrote:Mark...Boyzone and the backdoor boys are one and the same aint they!! :wink:
Sure. But as long as long as there's enough Crisco no one will get hurt.
And parents don't have to fear for the virginity of their teenage daughters.
Ain't that nice? It's as if there is a God who had planned all of that!
"It's probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in." -- Lyndon B. Johnson
Jen O. Side
Moonchild

Post by Jen O. Side » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:44 pm

gingerpazuzu wrote:Hello Jen O.Side + welcome :D :D
*notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy*
WolfLover
Dawnrazor

Post by WolfLover » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:58 am

bangles wrote:Hi everyone! First post & feeling the pressure...!
First heard of The Neph when a friend in work gave me a lend of the Nephilim. I remember opening up the gatefold vinyl sleeve & just thinking how cool it looked. Turned it on and was hooked! What an awesome record! Still love it as much now as then! :D :D
It's a truly incredible album. There is not one single song on the album I don't love. Definitely a 10/10 album for me. Elizium is also 10/10.
melody wrote:I don't really hear much Nephilim in Paradise Lost. After 'Love Under Will' the only songs that moved me in such a transcending way were 'Solitude' by Candlemass (doom metal ~ whose 'Samarithan' is even better) and 'Symphonaire...' by My Dying Bride (another doom metal band).
I can hear a lot of Fields on 'Draconian Times' which is of course Paradise Lost's best album for sure.
If you pass through my soul tonight
Gather all his troubles
Tomorrow's long with eternal night
Gather for tomorrow
When I'm gone wait here
Discover all of earth's surprises
When I'm gone wait here
I'll send my child my last good smile
Dirty
Moonchild

Post by Dirty » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:17 pm

I heard Moonchild on the Top 40 rundown. Bruno Brookes couldn't say "Nephilim", instead he said "nephilium" or some garbled nonsense. By then he had my attention and I hit record on my tape player.
Connected scars reopen.
goyless
Psychonaut

Post by goyless » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:39 pm

Necroposting, yay!
Well, I myself became aware of this band quite recently.
About 2 years ago I was involved into an amateurish game project. I was a concept artist/gamedesigner/screenwriter and whatnot for this project. It was supposed to be a dark gothic FPS with hellish fiends as monsters and a nephilim as the protagonist. Well, I came up with the nephilim backstory after I read Enoch's record about them which seemed interesting and original. I was researching everything regarding nephilims back then(And it was way before Darksiders 2, duh). Naturally I came across the band's pictures which made me: "Whaaa?"
I must point out that I have a soft spot for everything undead-looking and wearing brim hats and dusters(Caleb from Blood, Jericho from Darkwatch, Ivan Isaacs from Priest, Chakan the Forever Man). Although I incorporated neither looks nor any concepts from the FOTN in my designs or story, I surely got hooked up on their music since then.
Probably mine is the most nerdy story so far... :oops:
Gargoyles rock!
Kostas
Dawnrazor

Post by Kostas » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:47 pm

that's a cool story mate. I' ve always thought Chakan is bad ass. Next time use a McCoy type of character in your games. Welcome here
"...we are the lost ones, in the company of bright angels."
REANIMATORS - GREEK LEGION

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Reanimat ... 1677029341
http://www.myspace.com/thesequelfotngr
xseawitch
Watcher

Post by xseawitch » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:22 pm

scardwel wrote:I saw the 'Blue Water' video on The Chart Show in 1987 - a now (sadly defunct) UK music programme that was shown on Channel 4 in the mid 80s to early 90s.

I'd never seen or heard anything quite like it before.
exactly the same for me, didn't get to see them for a few years though
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:29 am

Kostas wrote: I' ve always thought Chakan is bad ass.
Hem… Who the buggery bollocks is that ?

*counting the number of geek points he just lost in a single moment…*
Fundraiser. You know, it's like Hellraiser, but without the Cenobites, the blood and all that.
IN NOMINE NEMO !
goyless
Psychonaut

Post by goyless » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:46 am

Well, if you wanted a guided tour... Chakan is a character of a pretty obscure comicbook series about undead swordfighter who is determined to rid world(s) of all of the supernatural evil. There was also a game for Sega Genesis which is an overlooked and obscure gem in its library.
The thing with this guy is that he is a swordfighter and not a gunslinger like, for example, Ivan over here. Teh nephilimz image is definitely the wild west gunslingers. Post-apocalyptic wild west gunslingers, which blows my effing mind with how awesome it is!
Gargoyles rock!
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:16 am

xseawitch wrote:
scardwel wrote:I saw the 'Blue Water' video on The Chart Show in 1987 - a now (sadly defunct) UK music programme that was shown on Channel 4 in the mid 80s to early 90s.

I'd never seen or heard anything quite like it before.
exactly the same for me, didn't get to see them for a few years though
Blue Water for me as well came first on the radio: 'I'd never heard anything quite like it before' and it was important to go for it. I couldn't even say the name of the band at the record shop but we eventually found out and I went out of the shop with in hands Returning to Gehenna. Once at home I was disappointed, mainly because the song I'd listenned figured not in it. I'm pretty sure it was in 1986 not sure whether it's possible. Perhaps I'd heard it from the Dawnrazor Down side/Blue side version or from a demo sent to the radio?
lsind
Moonchild

Post by lsind » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:58 pm

For me, it was when the words "The Cure" and 'The Sisters of Mercy" used in the same review of 'Dawnrazor' in some French magazine jumped at me and kind of yelled at me: "Come on, go out and get this record!".
So I did, and for some reason on first listen 'Dawnrazor' made me think more of The Chameleons than of the other aforemetioned bands. Maybe the guitars on some tracks, like Volcane maybe.
Then a few months later, 'The Nephilim' was released and I blindly bought it as soon as I could get my hand on a copy, convinced it was going to be a masterpiece. And it turned out to be a masterpiece.
Kostas
Dawnrazor

Post by Kostas » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:31 pm

ThomasB wrote:
Kostas wrote: I' ve always thought Chakan is bad ass.
Hem… Who the buggery bollocks is that ?
Cool video game character (originally form a comic book) that looks quite gothy:

"...Chakan, a warrior who was so confident in his martial abilities that he declared even Death couldn't best him in battle. Of course, Death appeared and challenged Chakan with a proposition. If Chakan could defeat him, he'd be granted eternal life. However, if Chakan was defeated, he'd become Death's eternal servant. The battle raged on for several days and the ultimate victor was very clear. Because he defeated Death eventually, he was granted his reward..."

"...we are the lost ones, in the company of bright angels."
REANIMATORS - GREEK LEGION

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Reanimat ... 1677029341
http://www.myspace.com/thesequelfotngr
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:09 am

Oh, golly. Pretty nightmare-ish indeedy !
Fundraiser. You know, it's like Hellraiser, but without the Cenobites, the blood and all that.
IN NOMINE NEMO !
Ciaran Newry
Moonchild

Post by Ciaran Newry » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:16 am

When i was around 15 (1991)i was into punk, but one dark/rainy evening waiting for the bus home from school i saw an older lad walking with full goth gear, long cowboy coat hat and all. I thought he looked like a twat but my eye was caught to the stencil on his back which was the 'keep talking' cowboy nephilim stencil. For some reason i was fascinated by it and wanted to know what it was about.
I searched for and found Elysium in my local library, i fell in love with it, devoured it and have been obsessed with the Neph ever since. Still questing after the band and appreciate all they do. Apart from Rubicon which was utter shite.
corvus corax
Moonchild

Post by corvus corax » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:51 pm

was lent dawn razor years ago the person who loaned it me said it would change my life and boy were they right xx after that started to hunt down their stuff and it just went from there was totally hooked by images and themes that they explored with their music *cthulhu* *cthulhu*
Moonchild
Here come the silver pieces
Can't you see
You're losing me
lordretsudo
Moonchild

Post by lordretsudo » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:39 am

For me it was in 1992 when I was 15 - I was already heavily into The Sisters of Mercy and Bauhaus and starting to get into other, lesser-known bands like Christian Death and Leaether Strip. I read an interview somewhere in which Valor mentioned that they had toured with a band called Fields of the Nephilim supporting them in the 80s. I thought it sounded like a really unusual and interesting name for a band and went down to my local record shop, where I purchased the double LP of Earth Inferno (without realising that it was a live album) because I liked its cover best. I was blown away by it and quickly got hold of the other albums. I still think Earth Inferno is the best live album I've ever heard, and The Sisters/The Neph remain my favourite bands to this day!
matthewaos
Moonchild

Post by matthewaos » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:34 am

Hi guys, new member here! I'm matthew and I am from greece.
When I was 18 - 19 (around 2002) I met one of my best friends. We were trading music and comics, which was (and still is) some of our greatest loves. I remember at the time that the greek metal hammer had a review for Fallen. It struck me as wierd at the time that there is this landmark band, as the reviewer presented them, that had not released anything for years, and this was NOT their newest album, and the record company tried to make some money out of them. The name was interesting, even though at the time I had no idea what are the nephilim and all this mythology.
Anyway, that friend was into gothic rock/metal at the time but I said that I'll pass cause at the time my understanding for the genre was that it sounded like Candlemass, you know slow, sad and self destructive with "I want to die now" lyrics and such.
Gothic music stayed in the background for me for quite some years after that. Sometime I was saying something between the lines of "I like the atmosphear but I don't like the music". I was into Dream Theater at the time so... But in search to listen to stuff with overwhelming atmosphear I ended up in the genre.The first song from nephilim I remember hearing was Penetration, and I thought, ok this is cool, no what I was expecting, more metal that I thought. So this friend gives me some random tracks to listen to, along with Mourning Sun and I was amazed! And when I realized that gothic rock has nothing to do with all this ebm (or whatever it is called)/techno music I started to listen to several of those bands, plus discovered post-punk bands like Magazine. Now I list Nephilim as one of my main influences in my band.
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:18 am

matthewaos wrote:Hi guys, new member here! I'm matthew and I am from greece.
When I was 18 - 19 (around 2002) I met one of my best friends. We were trading music and comics, which was (and still is) some of our greatest loves. I remember at the time that the greek metal hammer had a review for Fallen. It struck me as wierd at the time that there is this landmark band, as the reviewer presented them, that had not released anything for years, and this was NOT their newest album, and the record company tried to make some money out of them. The name was interesting, even though at the time I had no idea what are the nephilim and all this mythology.
Anyway, that friend was into gothic rock/metal at the time but I said that I'll pass cause at the time my understanding for the genre was that it sounded like Candlemass, you know slow, sad and self destructive with "I want to die now" lyrics and such.
Gothic music stayed in the background for me for quite some years after that. Sometime I was saying something between the lines of "I like the atmosphear but I don't like the music". I was into Dream Theater at the time so... But in search to listen to stuff with overwhelming atmosphear I ended up in the genre.The first song from nephilim I remember hearing was Penetration, and I thought, ok this is cool, no what I was expecting, more metal that I thought. So this friend gives me some random tracks to listen to, along with Mourning Sun and I was amazed! And when I realized that gothic rock has nothing to do with all this ebm (or whatever it is called)/techno music I started to listen to several of those bands, plus discovered post-punk bands like Magazine. Now I list Nephilim as one of my main influences in my band.

Oi ! *smoking*

Welcome aboard mate, join the "Reanimators", our local (and welcomed) greek contingent !

Gee, you did listen to some crap in your time, aye ? *Ducks and runs like feck*

:wink:
IN NOMINE NEMO !
matthewaos
Moonchild

Post by matthewaos » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:08 pm

Yeah... I blame my music studies for that! Fortunately I stoped listening to DT with six degrees, and especially when I saw them live. Though I like Candlemass, especially their debut. But at the time ebm/darkwave and stuff were in the front around here, stuff like vnv nation (who are ok btw), and because of that, and the gothic culture I thought that this is "gothic".