Carl McCoy, Criminally Under Rated, God of Metal

Discuss about the Nephilim, Nefilim, F.O.T.N. and other projects by Carl McCoy. Stay on-topic, all off-topic posts will either be deleted or moved to General Chat or elsewhere.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

VisiGoth
Moonchild

Carl McCoy, Criminally Under Rated, God of Metal

Post by VisiGoth » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:35 pm

Criminally under rated, I am a huge fan of Carls and the Nephilin since 1988. Of course, it goes without saying that if McCoy ever stopped making cd's it would be a fatal blow to world of metal. I happen to think McCoy and brethren of the Nephilim are the most creative artists in music, and Carl the best vocalist.

The louder guitars and drums of the recent Nephilim are wholly more enjoyable, but of course we miss Nod, Peter, and Paul. I also think the keyboard layers/backrounds are an absolute necessity.

Recent interview found Metal God Carl McCoy talking about not having returned to the United States, but I never knew the Nephilim had ever been here.

When "the Nephilim" album came out, a local Detroit bar cancelled, a advertised Fields concert date. I thought the Nephilim had never toured here.

........Questions............................................................

So if they did, when did they tour here, what album, towns etc. Did they do LA?

Funny, a band named "Zoon" played the Viper room once.

Is Johnny Depp a Nephilim fan? Secret shows?

Another question I have for members, is how do they rate Old Nephilim versus the newer?

Inferior/Superior?

I like to go back to the old Burning the Fields EP (a treasure) played side by side w/ Trees Come Down AD
Darkcell - "LET ME OUT!!!!" *cthulhu*
Ande
Watcher

Re: Carl McCoy, Criminally Under Rated, God of Metal

Post by Ande » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:49 pm

VisiGoth wrote:So if they did, when did they tour here, what album, towns etc. Did they do LA?

1988. 3 times. 4 if you count blowing the P.A. at UCLA at the start of the gig

ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:52 pm

So it's a "metal" thingie now ?
But then, Goff has been hijacked by "metal" anyway…
Fundraiser. You know, it's like Hellraiser, but without the Cenobites, the blood and all that.
IN NOMINE NEMO !
Morphic
Dawnrazor

Post by Morphic » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:34 am

VisiGoth wrote:Criminally under rated, I am a huge fan of Carls and the Nephilim since 1988. Of course, it goes without saying that if McCoy ever stopped making cd's it would be a fatal blow to world of metal. I happen to think McCoy and brethren of the Nephilim are the most creative artists in music, and Carl the best vocalist.

The louder guitars and drums of the recent Nephilim are wholly more enjoyable, but of course we miss Nod, Peter, and Paul. I also think the keyboard layers/backgrounds are an absolute necessity.

Recent interview found Metal God Carl McCoy talking about not having returned to the United States, but I never knew the Nephilim had ever been here.

Another question I have for members, is how do they rate Old Nephilim versus the newer?

Inferior/Superior?
Holy fcuk!!

Well, let's just say that this particular discussion divides Neph fans more than most issues!!

OK. Let's just say that there's been bloodshed. (Horrific uncontrolled rape and slaughter...) Yep, Bloodshed.

So, thanks for bringing it up again. :wink:

Before the absolute slaughter begins, i think i can (more or less safely) put everyone in roughly the following camps:

(You have to understand that this is a bit like putting people into gas-filled trenches and hoping that they'll stay there!!! It's like herding squirrels. Not dead ones tho... No, not dead ones. Oh how I want to kill the non-dead ones. dead. Dead....

No. Honestly, I’m fine Doctor. Really.

Right, in answer to your “QUESTION” VisiGoth….

I can more or less guarantee that 90% of people on here simply love excellent music in whatever form and would most probably go to see any band, spin off or separated band, if they thought they were good enough.

I think that the ‘discussion’ loosely revolves around the following:

Carl is a god and there is no other to compare…
Carl is great and it really doesn’t matter who provides the backing music…
Carl is currently in a tribute band…
The original 1990 line-up was the best and the only.
Carl should never have done Zoon.
Carl was a genius doing Zoon.
NFD do better Metal than Carl….

It does go deeper than that, but I’d like to keep my testacles where they are thank you very much!

Anyway, when Carl isn’t on tour (and lets just say that’s not as much as we’d like…)
Particularly excellent quality bands include LastRites, NFD & The Eden Project…
(There are links to all these all over this forum for your delight. Keep Posting!)

PS. Is there anything that Ande doesn't know???!! *notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy*
And after all this? Nothing. Nothing at all.
weebleswobble
BayWatcher

Post by weebleswobble » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:20 am

The Nephilim is the greatest album that will ever be made.... :mrgreen:

Zoon, like buggery is down to personal choice. I'm not saying one should enjoy being taken up the marble peach to appreciate it but those that don't like Zoon often express a preference to being done with a pineapple than listen to it.

Anyhoo I digress....

A great band that have evolved into a sloth like shell of its former self. We all live in hope that Carl and the gang will get the finger out and release/play etc etc

Some are in it for the camaraderie, the booze and the MUSIC. Others are into the music and pay more attention to the mystical bollocks. Can be more controversial than Zoon but there you go....

NFD rock, Adoration groove, and The Eden House are audible v***ra *smoking*
The first bit sounds like Bruce Wayne, and the second bit sounds like Batman.
Rorschach
Dawnrazor

Post by Rorschach » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:22 am

Well that's interesting Weebs. I always pegged you as an Elizium man, meself! :twisted:

You live and you learn!

Rorschach
Morphic
Dawnrazor

Post by Morphic » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:49 am

I pegged him as a...

No, i just pegged him.

*cthulhu*
And after all this? Nothing. Nothing at all.
oldnephilim
Nephilim

Post by oldnephilim » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:52 pm

zoon rules ;)

... and now for something completly different ...
“The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of man and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men who were of old, the men of renown.”
melody
Psychonaut

Post by melody » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:56 pm

I wouldn't go so far as say he was God of Metal but I would say he is a beautiful lyricist and vocalist and an extremely attractive human being ~ no one's perfect though and I did get a bit of a shock when I first heard him speak. His speaking voice didn't quite match what I had imagined based on his songs. But I suppose it's good in that, for me, it humanises him ~ were his speaking voice as sublime as his singing voice I might have thought he was a God.
Dr Cerebus
Watcher

Post by Dr Cerebus » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:24 pm

melody wrote:I wouldn't go so far as say he was God of Metal but I would say he is a beautiful lyricist and vocalist and an extremely attractive human being
I'm fairly certain that qualities of that sort are exactly what preclude him from being "God of Metal". :twisted:
falling from ecstasy...
...amongst other things
WolfLover
Dawnrazor

Post by WolfLover » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:51 pm

ThomasB wrote:So it's a "metal" thingie now ?
Well, the guitar playing and sound by Peter and Paul Wright has always had a more metallic hard rocking edge to it than other bands like Sisters, Bauhaus and The Mish. :D
weebleswobble wrote:The Nephilim is the greatest album that will ever be made.... :mrgreen:

Zoon, like buggery is down to personal choice. I'm not saying one should enjoy being taken up the marble peach to appreciate it but those that don't like Zoon often express a preference to being done with a pineapple than listen to it.

Anyhoo I digress....

A great band that have evolved into a sloth like shell of its former self. We all live in hope that Carl and the gang will get the finger out and release/play etc etc

Some are in it for the camaraderie, the booze and the MUSIC. Others are into the music and pay more attention to the mystical bollocks. Can be more controversial than Zoon but there you go....

NFD rock, Adoration groove, and The Eden House are audible v**gra *smoking*
I'm with you there on The Nephilim album, it is for me one of the finest gothic rock albums period, next to the almighty 'Elizium' of course. Although 'Dawnrazor, Gods Own Medicine, Children, Rise, First and Last and Always, Dead Pool Rising and Occult' are not too far behind. I just hope that we won't have to wait fifteen years for another Fields album.
If you pass through my soul tonight
Gather all his troubles
Tomorrow's long with eternal night
Gather for tomorrow
When I'm gone wait here
Discover all of earth's surprises
When I'm gone wait here
I'll send my child my last good smile
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:37 pm

WolfLover wrote:
ThomasB wrote:So it's a "metal" thingie now ?
Well, the guitar playing and sound by Peter and Paul Wright has always had a more metallic hard rocking edge to it than other bands like Sisters, Bauhaus and The Mish. :D
Apart from "Phobia", I heartily disagree !
Then The Cult is metal. Heck, everything with guitar in it is metal… Including Mission (remember the Zeppelinian "Tower of strenght ?)
But I still love you of course. *notworthy* *smoking*
Fundraiser. You know, it's like Hellraiser, but without the Cenobites, the blood and all that.
IN NOMINE NEMO !
WolfLover
Dawnrazor

Post by WolfLover » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:57 am

ThomasB wrote:
Apart from "Phobia", I heartily disagree !
Then The Cult is metal. Heck, everything with guitar in it is metal… Including Mission (remember the Zeppelinian "Tower of strenght ?)
But I still love you of course. *notworthy* *smoking*
What I basically meant was that fields have a much more metallic edge to them than most other gothic rock bands, except for Nosferatu, NFD and Opened Paradise who also have a hard edge to their guitars. For me songs like 'Endemoniada, Moonchild, Chord of Souls, Love Under Will, For Her Light, Paradise Regained and Sumerland' all have really rocking riffs with just a hint of metal in them. Some of them are more metallic than others obvisouly :wink: Thanks for the last comment. :D *notworthy* *notworthy*
If you pass through my soul tonight
Gather all his troubles
Tomorrow's long with eternal night
Gather for tomorrow
When I'm gone wait here
Discover all of earth's surprises
When I'm gone wait here
I'll send my child my last good smile
shadowlily
Moonchild

Post by shadowlily » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:32 am

On the MySpace page, they're listed as "Rock/METAL/Gothic." So, clearly, they're a metal band, since Carl says so. :wink:

Seriously, though, I wouldn't really call them metal, but there's enough overlap between rock, hard rock and metal that I have to acknowledge certain similarities. And some metal bands have been influenced by FoTN, so in a way Carl could almost be a "God of metal."
We are the wounds and the great cold death of the Earth
Darkness and silence, the light shall flicker out . . .

http://www.last.fm/user/lady_shadowlily
http://www.myspace.com/garance
wild bill buttock
Nephilim

Post by wild bill buttock » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:25 am

Sorry folks but the original and genuine (i.e pre 1991) Fields of the nephilim had fcuk all to do with heavy metal.
OK so metal bands since have been inspired by the Neph but in the day the Nephs had absolutely nothing in common with 80's or early 90's metal bands. Anyone that lumps the Nephs in with Bon Jovi, Motley Crue, Guns'n'roses, Metalica, Iron maiden, Saxon etc etc is either deaf or very stupid. :evil:
Constantine
Moonchild

Post by Constantine » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:25 am

must agree with mr b on that one. carl's current project may be "metal" but the nephs never were
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:35 am

Constantine wrote:must agree with mr b on that one. carl's current project may be "metal" but the nephs never were
Yep !
Seems that some, especially amongst the youngest, tends to think : &/ I love metal, so I am the summum of evolution and the Ubermensch of our times. 2/ I love this band. 3/ Then it's metal. You won't go for any INFERIOR music...

You know this new goddess of metal called Britney Spears ? It's very innovative, since there's no real guitars and in "oops, I did it again !", she uses themes not usually found in metal, but ain't that the proof that metal is much better, bigger and stronger than anything else and its listeners (say, me) are the Ubermensch of our times, no ? Despite close-minded people who listen to INFERIOR music that should be destroyed and can't understand just how better we are…
IN NOMINE NEMO !
angry bob
Nephilim

Post by angry bob » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:09 pm

Constantine wrote:must agree with mr b on that one. carl's current project may be "metal" but the nephs never were
I reckon current project/live band is not "metal" at all. They're actually trying to be more Fields of the Nephilim than Fields of the Nephilim. Not only in terms of image obviously but sound as well. I can see too much winking in all that haha. Really don't know why Carl is doing so...

Old Nephs were never metal indeed. Having said that, their live sound after Elizium reached some sort of heaviness when it comes to guitars. Especially Peter Yates rhythm guitar. Just listen to EI's Dawnrazor. It is magnificent, powerful, and tons heavier than hundred metal bands. Paul wright also added a bit of more distortion to his sound. Great move to make sound more varied, with a sparkle. Wonder myself if that might have been Carls influence , which he then developed with Nefilim.

Fields were no metal. They were not goth either lol... They were unique band :) So were Nefilim :twisted:
morning comes as light burning out my eyes
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:29 pm

angry bob wrote:
Constantine wrote: Fields were no metal. They were not goth either lol... They were unique band :) So were Nefilim :twisted:
Yep, if I remember well, they were quite surprised to be in the Goff bandwagon…
(Oops, this has been said, resaid and repeated countless times !)
But Nefilim WERE metal indeed. Though I never found any band sounding like 'em in terms of sheer emotion. In fact they could be the only real "Death metal" band. (Playing on lower chord than heavy stuff and using troll's growl instead of castrats was not "new" enough for mee. Black Sabbath did it much earlier and much better…
and louder*whistle* *whistle* )
IN NOMINE NEMO !