The 5 albums box set makes for nice drinks coasters.

Discuss about the Nephilim, Nefilim, F.O.T.N. and other projects by Carl McCoy. Stay on-topic, all off-topic posts will either be deleted or moved to General Chat or elsewhere.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

WolfLover
Dawnrazor

Re: The 5 albums box set makes for nice drinks coasters.

Post by WolfLover » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:17 pm

The Last Voice wrote:If y'all like beefing up your playback volume, you can use the 'options' tab in iTunes to increase the volume - it's referred to as 'replay gain'. If you don't use iTunes, check in the online help for your chosen software. If burning the files, one can use Audacity to increase the gain with no loss.

@Wolflover: How loud does the music have to be when playing from your Ipod through headphones? When docked the battery is being charged... The battery in my iPod lasts 20 hours so I'm curious about your usage habits. Also, it's illegal to email ppl copyright protected music so don't f**cking do it.

One of my issues with the set stems from the fact that they used shit quality rips of Contaminated, The Tower and Power. If one listens the tracks (On decent gear mind) one can hear drop-out on The Tower, and clipping on the other two songs. These 'artifacts' are present on all cd releases that have these versions on them, except for the 12" vinyl's.

I've known about that tab in itunes to increase the volume for years now. Whenever I get music, whether it's old or new I make sure that the voulme up to the max in the 'options' tab in iTunes. I also use itunes for burning compilations for people or myself. I just wish that itunes had yet another volume tab for low voume AAD produced albums. All my music itunes has the voule up, and of lately I've discovered another option in itunes option tab. If you you go the equalizer and set it to 'spoken word' instead of rock or loudness the volume is increased that little bit more, and it sounds ever more clear.

My battery on my 160GB iPod lasts for at least four days. I listen to my ipod for about eight hours every day. There are just over eleven thousand songs on my ipod. The voulume on my ipod is set fairly high, because of the new ipods not being as loud as the old ones, so you have to set the volume quite high in order to hear the music properly.
If you pass through my soul tonight
Gather all his troubles
Tomorrow's long with eternal night
Gather for tomorrow
When I'm gone wait here
Discover all of earth's surprises
When I'm gone wait here
I'll send my child my last good smile
The Last Voice
Watcher

Post by The Last Voice » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:23 pm

You'll likely suffer permanent hearing loss. Prolonged exposure to audio at volumes that exceeds 90db will do that to you. Maxing the volume slide on absolutely everything, including 'new' releases, is defeating the purpose of the tool. Surely the dynamics of the music suffer with this approach?

Using the 'Spoken Word' Eq setting (or anything apart from 'Flat') is not increasing the volume per se, it's decreasing the spectrum of frequencies that are played back, resulting in the perception of louder playback for those frequencies selected. Of course, those frequencies that are limited in the selected Eq setting are not louder are they? What you are achieving by using that setting is actually only listening to a portion of your music (that which fits inside your Eq curve). The other 'bits' of music will simply pass you by. It's like using the supplied ear buds compared to decent phones - or listening to 64kb/s MP3 vs Lossless.

I tend to think it's there to DECREASE the volume of the new releases, so that they more easily approximate older releases. Seeing that I have many more cd's from the 80's and 90's it just made sense to work this way.

Each to their own though.
Mine is the last voice you will ever hear... Do not be alarmed.
corvus corax
Moonchild

Post by corvus corax » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:41 am

I have the box set and while i am pleased with it ,it saves my lovely vinyl getting damaged its sad as i feel so much could have been done with it i do agree that a huge opportunity has been missed i mean no lyrics just a naff fold out booklet they could have put some pictures and made it really informative its a crying shame yes cds are nice but the presentation is sadly lacking and what happened to the burning the fields ep or what?
Moonchild
Here come the silver pieces
Can't you see
You're losing me
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:24 am

The Last Voice wrote:You'll likely suffer permanent hearing loss. Prolonged exposure to audio at volumes that exceeds 90db will do that to you. Maxing the volume slide on absolutely everything, including 'new' releases, is defeating the purpose of the tool. Surely the dynamics of the music suffer with this approach?

Yes, but when you're in the gym, drenched in MTV crap full blast (they ALL do that, when almost everyone has earphones), playing loud is the only way NOT to be imposed this shower o'shite, otherwise go insane… Now if there is such a thing as earphones that isolates you from the outside noise so I can be protected from aforementioned shower o'shite, I must get one…

Assuming I can afford it… :roll:
Fundraiser. You know, it's like Hellraiser, but without the Cenobites, the blood and all that.
IN NOMINE NEMO !
Dr Cerebus
Watcher

Post by Dr Cerebus » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:44 pm

ThomasB wrote:Now if there is such a thing as earphones that isolates you from the outside noise so I can be protected from aforementioned shower o'shite, I must get one…
They're called noise cancelling headphones... you can either get active ones that transmit a signal to counter external noise or simple isolating ones. I have a pair of the latter (Sennheiser HD280) and wearing them is like having earplugs until you turn on your own audio. Hie thee to google and find something that fits your exact needs.
falling from ecstasy...
...amongst other things
WolfLover
Dawnrazor

Post by WolfLover » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:20 pm

I know I said I wouldn't be getting this boxset, but after reading a few reviews on amazon about the volume and how clear 'The Nephilim' and the how good the other albums sounded I decided to buy it. It is actually very good, and I compared the volume and sound of the original 'Dawnrazor, Nephilim ablum and Elizium and they do sound much better and a noticebly louder too, which is great. What I did was put the songs into itunes, and have the original version and underneath that song is the new version. I also put the volume slider to the max on the two of them, and set the eq to spoken word (which makes the volume slightly louder still) and they sound much much better, especially 'The Nephilim' which was quite a muddy production.

I don't know why 'Earth Inferno' wasn't given a volume boost though. It's still in AAD. Because it's an incredible live album, and in my opinion one of the very best gothic rock live albums along with 'Live at BBC' by The Mission UK. The 'Singles and Mixes' album is also fantastic, and that too was given a volume boost. The volume on that album is also better than 'Revelations' so that is a plus for me. :D The artwork on the CDs themselves is really great. So overall I'm very very happy, and it's really great to finally see these incredible albums get a decent remastering and a good voulume and sound treatment. Definitely not coasters like other people are saying. *smoking*
If you pass through my soul tonight
Gather all his troubles
Tomorrow's long with eternal night
Gather for tomorrow
When I'm gone wait here
Discover all of earth's surprises
When I'm gone wait here
I'll send my child my last good smile
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:02 am

Dr Cerebus wrote:
ThomasB wrote:Now if there is such a thing as earphones that isolates you from the outside noise so I can be protected from aforementioned shower o'shite, I must get one…
They're called noise cancelling headphones... you can either get active ones that transmit a signal to counter external noise or simple isolating ones. I have a pair of the latter (Sennheiser HD280) and wearing them is like having earplugs until you turn on your own audio. Hie thee to google and find something that fits your exact needs.
I took advice from techie friends and did just that, but thanks nonetheless ! *smoking*
Fundraiser. You know, it's like Hellraiser, but without the Cenobites, the blood and all that.
IN NOMINE NEMO !
markreed
Moonchild

Post by markreed » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:39 pm

I don't really see the point of the box set, unless as a cheap catalogue dump (look up "Original Album Series" or "Original Album Classics" on Amazon) for people who are vaguely curious can get everything dirt cheap. Normally these sets don't even have a bonus disc of non-LP tracks! I'd've preferred if they'd've placed the non LP tracks after the main records (Though that would've meant redoing the glass CD master), made Earth Inferno 2 CD's, and stuck the Forever Remain / Visionary Heads DVD in there.

No doubt if they did THAT, we'd be moaning you can't get a full copy of the BBC Sheffield show, and where's Zoon and and and ....