The Sons of Neverland

Here within you discuss about the side-projects, i.e. the bands that has something to do with F.O.T.N. and doesn't include Carl McCoy on vocals.

Moderators: Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

Caves of the Troglodytes
Moonchild

The Sons of Neverland

Post by Caves of the Troglodytes » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:55 am

I had never heard of this band until I read about them on this board a few days ago. There's virtually no info about them on the net, except for a few Ukrainian download sites and mentions on peoples' Myspace music lists.

Minutes after reading about it, I obtained their album 'Soulkeeper' in much the same spirit that they must have written their music, and I have to say that I enjoyed it very much.

Certainly, there has probably never been a more blatant example of outright imitation of another artist. I mean, TSoN directly quote FotN in every single song. They dress like the Nephilim, the singer sounds more like the real McCoy than any of the frontmen of any of the official sideprojects, it's just a total rip-off.

However, they are very good at what they do. I have to say I like the sound of Soulkeeper better than any of the Nephilim related projects, except Mourning Sun, that have arrived since the breakup. I only wish I had heard of Sons of Neverland back in 95 when the CD came out. I was lost in a wallow of grunge at the time. I could have used a good dose of Nephilimitators. Nobody was making this kind of music then, except Rubicon, who were leaning much more towards the mainstream. Rubicon should have hired TSoN's frontman instead of Andy Delaney.

I like to pretend that Soulkeeper is a legitimate Nephilim release, as it bridges the gap between The Nephilim and Elizium quite nicely for me.

OK, go ahead and flame me to a blackened stinking husk now.
weebleswobble
BayWatcher

Post by weebleswobble » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:01 am

THEY ARE PISH
The first bit sounds like Bruce Wayne, and the second bit sounds like Batman.
WolfLover
Dawnrazor

Re: The Sons of Neverland

Post by WolfLover » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:01 pm

Caves of the Troglodytes wrote:I had never heard of this band until I read about them on this board a few days ago. There's virtually no info about them on the net, except for a few Ukrainian download sites and mentions on peoples' Myspace music lists.

Minutes after reading about it, I obtained their album 'Soulkeeper' in much the same spirit that they must have written their music, and I have to say that I enjoyed it very much.

Certainly, there has probably never been a more blatant example of outright imitation of another artist. I mean, TSoN directly quote FotN in every single song. They dress like the Nephilim, the singer sounds more like the real McCoy than any of the frontmen of any of the official sideprojects, it's just a total rip-off.

However, they are very good at what they do. I have to say I like the sound of Soulkeeper better than any of the Nephilim related projects, except Mourning Sun, that have arrived since the breakup. I only wish I had heard of Sons of Neverland back in 95 when the CD came out. I was lost in a wallow of grunge at the time. I could have used a good dose of Nephilimitators. Nobody was making this kind of music then, except Rubicon, who were leaning much more towards the mainstream. Rubicon should have hired TSoN's frontman instead of Andy Delaney.

I like to pretend that Soulkeeper is a legitimate Nephilim release, as it bridges the gap between The Nephilim and Elizium quite nicely for me.

OK, go ahead and flame me to a blackened stinking husk now.
I know everyone else says they are crap, but I would love to hear that particular album for myself. Where did you buy it from. :?:
If you pass through my soul tonight
Gather all his troubles
Tomorrow's long with eternal night
Gather for tomorrow
When I'm gone wait here
Discover all of earth's surprises
When I'm gone wait here
I'll send my child my last good smile
Caves of the Troglodytes
Moonchild

Post by Caves of the Troglodytes » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:55 pm

Buy...? Um, heh.

http://www.bee.fm/albums/sons-of-neverland-s14648/

Listen to it in its entirety here. You can download the m3u by the big round green play button or just stream it with the smaller rectangular button.

As I said, they use exact musical quotes from many songs. The lyrics are somewhat weaker than the real thing, except when they are directly stolen, of course, but Nephilim lyrics are generally hard to decipher anyway. In one song, the drums seem awkwardly placed, but this may be for an intentional discordant effect.

There are many moments when you will swear you are listening to a lost FotN album. As I said, it fits neatly between the styles of The Nephilim and Elizium.

The singer sounds just like Carl (with a slight Swedish accent that only crops up once or twice.) The instrumentation is for the most part a dead-on copy. My personal favorite song is the Psychonaut-inspired 6th track titled Liberate.

I realize what they did was reprehensible, but let's remember they did it in 1995, when for all intents and purposes, FotN were a dead issue. It's not like they ripped off a going concern. I would have been extremely happy to buy this in 95 when I was in full blown Nephilim withdrawal. It's no worse to me than any of the bands that faithfully imitate Black Sabbath or Led Zeppelin. And it's way better than Zoon and Fallen. :lol:
wild bill buttock
Nephilim

Post by wild bill buttock » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:22 am

No worse than The Merry thoughts/Sissies or Funhouse/Mish I suppose.
angry bob
Nephilim

Post by angry bob » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:25 am

Caves of the Troglodytes wrote: And it's way better than Zoon...
Course it is! I'm angry bob btw. Nice to meet ya buddy!
morning comes as light burning out my eyes
Caves of the Troglodytes
Moonchild

Post by Caves of the Troglodytes » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:18 am

Nice to meet you too, Angry Bob! How's the old industrial dick? Nice to meet all of you as well!

I wonder if anyone can help me add a signature? I don't see anyplace to do it on my profile.
angry bob
Nephilim

Post by angry bob » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:57 am

Caves of the Troglodytes wrote:Nice to meet you too, Angry Bob! How's the old industrial dick?
Fine, thanks!

But please, just don't say anymore that the thing you're talking about here is better than Zoon. It makes me angrier
Pale Rider
Dawnrazor

Post by Pale Rider » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:23 am

Being a bit picky here - Mods, shouldn't this (a couple of others) thread be moved? ... After all this band doesn't actually fit the thread criteria of being connected with FOTN... having said that I'll go and check 'em out! :)
Silence is platinum
Moonchild

Post by Silence is platinum » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:06 am

In the 90s there were very very few realy good goth bands and hundreds of useless,talentless idiots.
File under the second.
WolfLover
Dawnrazor

Post by WolfLover » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:32 pm

Caves of the Troglodytes wrote:Buy...? Um, heh.

http://www.bee.fm/albums/sons-of-neverland-s14648/

Listen to it in its entirety here. You can download the m3u by the big round green play button or just stream it with the smaller rectangular button.

As I said, they use exact musical quotes from many songs. The lyrics are somewhat weaker than the real thing, except when they are directly stolen, of course, but Nephilim lyrics are generally hard to decipher anyway. In one song, the drums seem awkwardly placed, but this may be for an intentional discordant effect.

There are many moments when you will swear you are listening to a lost FotN album. As I said, it fits neatly between the styles of The Nephilim and Elizium.

The singer sounds just like Carl (with a slight Swedish accent that only crops up once or twice.) The instrumentation is for the most part a dead-on copy. My personal favorite song is the Psychonaut-inspired 6th track titled Liberate.

I realize what they did was reprehensible, but let's remember they did it in 1995, when for all intents and purposes, FotN were a dead issue. It's not like they ripped off a going concern. I would have been extremely happy to buy this in 95 when I was in full blown Nephilim withdrawal. It's no worse to me than any of the bands that faithfully imitate Black Sabbath or Led Zeppelin. And it's way better than Zoon and Fallen. :lol:
Thanks Troglodytes, but that site is useless becuase I'm not interested in streaming it, and what I really want to do is either download the whole album or buy it, And I was wondering where did you buy or download it :? :?:
If you pass through my soul tonight
Gather all his troubles
Tomorrow's long with eternal night
Gather for tomorrow
When I'm gone wait here
Discover all of earth's surprises
When I'm gone wait here
I'll send my child my last good smile
VizhiGoth
Moonchild

Post by VizhiGoth » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:56 pm

I bought their album back in the 90s, remember it as being fairly average, inoffensive and blatantly (and sometimes laughably) Neph-copyist, with typical gruff, deep-voiced vocals. But this thread made me think that maybe my memory was off, so I just gave it another listen... yup, was right first time, just average. But better than a lot of the "useless, talentless" crap I bought back in the 80s/90s, so it just about survived my turn of the century CD purge.
Pale Rider
Dawnrazor

Post by Pale Rider » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:09 pm

Just listened to a few of their tracks on Myspace... they only have three friends - I think that says it all!

http://www.myspace.com/sonsofneverland
Poison Ivy

Post by Poison Ivy » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:59 pm

Pale Rider *notworthy*
I just give it a listen via myspace, we make their visitores score higher....they are so sweet, but is simply NOT Carl& co... 8)

....and had a test of my partner nervess :mrgreen: jumped out of the shower with a scream : 'what the f***k is it ???'

hi hi hi hi help me .... :lol: we are both WET now....ROTFL !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

'For love we fall'....wet on the floor :D :D :D ...now I need to play ZOON to recover :wink:
wild bill buttock
Nephilim

Post by wild bill buttock » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:32 pm

I'm going to add them. I like them now because they annoy the Zoonites :mrgreen:
Rorschach
Dawnrazor

Post by Rorschach » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:57 pm

wild bill buttock wrote:Zoonites :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Splitters!!!!

Rorschach
angry bob
Nephilim

Post by angry bob » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:23 pm

wild bill buttock wrote:I'm going to add them. I like them now because they annoy the Zoonites :mrgreen:
They don't annoy me, Wild Bill Buttock. You do!
:mrgreen: :wink:
Blue Angel
Nephilim

Post by Blue Angel » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:45 pm

There must be a better word for them...

Zooners...?
Zoonists...?

:roll:
Fields of the Neffalump

Jism!
angry bob