Question!

Guess this band doesn't need any closer presentation. If you don't know of them (shame on you) you should check them out immediately. They play live on a regular basis and release records.

Moderators: Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

enzign
Moonchild

Question!

Post by enzign » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:46 pm

Does the rise of The Eden House mean the death of NFD?
weebleswobble
BayWatcher

Re: Question!

Post by weebleswobble » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:55 pm

fraking well hope not :wink:
The first bit sounds like Bruce Wayne, and the second bit sounds like Batman.
Morphic
Dawnrazor

Post by Morphic » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:36 am

Nah, I think there's surely enough great material between them to continue. Also, their stage shows are wildly different...

Well, fcuking hope not anyway!!!

What do you think enzign? Pheonix from the fire or fire burns all?
And after all this? Nothing. Nothing at all.
enzign
Moonchild

Post by enzign » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:19 pm

Well, I really do hope not. I love NFD, they have all the elements I like to listen too.

The Eden House is great in a different way but NFD have the edge and aggression that's sadly lacking in much of today's so called Goth music.

I'm a real stickler for Vocals. Bob is fantastic and has both aggression and feel. Many of the Goth stuff I've heard these last few years (NFD, Eden House excluded) has had great music but the vocals have been amateur at best. I bought the Adoration CD which could have been an all time classic but the vocals were terrible, the guy sounded like Bernard from New Order it just didn't work for me at all. It needed a Robert Smith circa 1981/82 type feel. Big disappointment for me particularly because it appears Steve left NFD to pursue this project? The material was totally wasted in my oppinion.

In many respects much as I love Carl, Bob is a much better singer and songwriter. If this is the death of NFD I really hope Bob finishes the excellent Counting the dead project and puts a new band together round that. The 4 tracks I've heard on the Myspace site are truly fantastic. Leap of Faith alone is amazing in every way!
Rorschach
Dawnrazor

Post by Rorschach » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:16 am

Hmmmmm......

You make some good points enzign.

Firstly, Steve did not leave NFD for Adoration. Adoration was a slow burn project that was simmering away for many years, well before NFD become the all conquering monster that it is now. While I love Adoration's album, I take your point.

I do not think that NFD are dead because of Steve's departure. I think that they are possibly heading in a slightly different direction.

Also, I have been emphatically informed, despite the rumours, that Tony is totally comitted to NFD, despite his Eden House comitments. :twisted:

I am in complete aggreement with you, however, that the Counting The Dead material should (MUST) be released because it is truly magnificent! (and I told Bob this at the Eden House gig!)

Hope Springs Eternal! :D

Rorschach
enzign
Moonchild

Post by enzign » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:27 pm

Thanks for your words of re-assurance. Good to know that Tony is still behind NFD and nice to know that Bob has been told just how good the counting the dead stuff is.

I know that band politics are often a strange thing but it's a shame that Steve couldn't have brought some of the Adoration material to the NFD table. Some of those tracks would have been killer with Bob on vocals! I guess it's wait and see if/when NFD re-group for another album and which direction they go in. I hope the wait won't be too long or that we get Counting the dead and a few dates to support it (One in the north west please Bob!).
wild bill buttock
Nephilim

Post by wild bill buttock » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:00 pm

enzign wrote:
Many of the Goth stuff I've heard these last few years (NFD, Eden House excluded) has had great music but the vocals have been amateur at best. I bought the Adoration CD which could have been an all time classic but the vocals were terrible, the guy sounded like Bernard from New Order it just didn't work for me at all. It needed a Robert Smith circa 1981/82 type feel. Big disappointment for me particularly because it appears Steve left NFD to pursue this project? The material was totally wasted in my oppinion.
Definately agree on the first part but absolutely not With Adoration.
I think Jon Stone's Barney meets Ian Brown style suit Adoration's music perfectly, without falling into the usual cliched McCoy/Eldridge/Smith clone cobblers that most modern goth bands tend to do so badly.
enzign wrote:I know that band politics are often a strange thing but it's a shame that Steve couldn't have brought some of the Adoration material to the NFD table. Some of those tracks would have been killer with Bob on vocals! I guess it's wait and see if/when NFD re-group for another album and which direction they go in.

It would have been interesting if Steve had had more input into NFD, but I think NFD is very much Bob's baby.
It really would be tragedy if NFD were to bite the dust. They are one of the best live bands around and fill a big gap in the Gothic rock genre. "Dead pool rising" is one of the best albums of the last 20 years in my opinion. And Bob is indeed a very fine vocalist and a rare one that does get the classic goth vocals right!
I thought Perhaps James Mckilroy's recruitment might see the sound take on a heavier approach but the recent Underworld gig didn't indicate that.
enzign
Moonchild

Post by enzign » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:15 am

We'll have to agree to disagree about the Adoration vocals but your spot on with you assessment of Dead Pool Rising. Best album I've heard over the last 20 years as well. I never get tired of putting it on and always listen too it all the way through because of the quality of the songs and how they run together. I get the feeling from what I've heard that a Counting the Dead album would be up there along side it.
wild bill buttock
Nephilim

Post by wild bill buttock » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:08 pm

I hadn't checked out Counting the Dead. I just have and ,you know, you just could well be right. It's a bit good *notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy*
Lord Mureth
Nephilim

Post by Lord Mureth » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:59 pm

wild bill buttock wrote:
enzign wrote: I think Jon Stone's Barney meets Ian Brown style suit Adoration's music perfectly, without falling into the usual cliched McCoy/Eldridge/Smith clone cobblers that most modern goth bands tend to do so badly.
Ah, that would explain why I'm not keen on Adoration. Many people blather on about Buddy Holly; but for me, the day that Ian Brown was allowed to stand in front of a microphone was The Day the Music Died. :roll:
WolfLover
Dawnrazor

Post by WolfLover » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:52 pm

enzign wrote:Well, I really do hope not. I love NFD, they have all the elements I like to listen too.

The Eden House is great in a different way but NFD have the edge and aggression that's sadly lacking in much of today's so called Goth music.

In many respects much as I love Carl, Bob is a much better singer and songwriter. If this is the death of NFD I really hope Bob finishes the excellent Counting the dead project and puts a new band together round that. The 4 tracks I've heard on the Myspace site are truly fantastic. Leap of Faith alone is amazing in every way!
I love NFD as well, and 'Dead Pool Rising' is an outstanding album except for 'My Possession' which I did'nt like at all. Counting The Dead are great as well. I agree with you as well about todays so called gothic music lacking aggression. Most of todays so called gothic music is either too soft or too electronic for my ears anyway, but there is some very very good bands that have the riffs, arrangments and imagination. You should check out these excellent albums. :wink:

Ahráyeph - Marooned on Samsara
Voices Of Masada - Four Corners
Elusive - The Great Silence
Opened Paradise - Occult
Nosferatu - Rise
If you pass through my soul tonight
Gather all his troubles
Tomorrow's long with eternal night
Gather for tomorrow
When I'm gone wait here
Discover all of earth's surprises
When I'm gone wait here
I'll send my child my last good smile
enzign
Moonchild

Post by enzign » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:21 am

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check them out with interest.
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:37 pm

Lord Mureth wrote: Ah, that would explain why I'm not keen on Adoration. Many people blather on about Buddy Holly; but for me, the day that Ian Brown was allowed to stand in front of a microphone was The Day the Music Died. :roll:
Yep… Hammering the fact that you could not even pull out a tune (and not even be arsed to try) and still be "kewl". As long as you have "attitude". Or something. Like…
Fundraiser. You know, it's like Hellraiser, but without the Cenobites, the blood and all that.
IN NOMINE NEMO !
Lord Mureth
Nephilim

Post by Lord Mureth » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:47 pm

What was even wrse was the fact that he inspired, if not a generation, at least of couple of years worth of musical acts to just not fecking bother about putting any effort into their vocals. It even eventually filtered down to the Eve's and the Mish (some songs on Neverland and most of Ultraviolet) - you've no idea how pleased I was when vocalists actually began to SING again in mid 90's.
wild bill buttock
Nephilim

Post by wild bill buttock » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:13 pm

Gotta admit Brown can be a bit dodgy live but he's done some fecking fantastic tunes- Stone Roses first album is an absolute work of genius, Brown's albums Solarized and Unfinished monkey business are tremendous and the tune F.E.A.R. is simply awesome.
Tsk, Fields of the nephilim fans slagging off unconventional vocalists, What has the world come to?
Lord Mureth
Nephilim

Post by Lord Mureth » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:09 pm

I've no problem with unconventional vocalists; the world of music would be a blander place without them. All I expect of any singer is to actually put a bit of effort into it, a bit of welly; something that might make the listener really feel as though the vocalist meant/had lived through what he/she was singing about. What I don't expect is some halfarsed mumbling 'effort' (using the word loosely) that should really be laughed out of any recording studio. The Stone Roses might actually have been an okay band with a different vocalist (the godawful shite of Fool's Gold (not the Ghost Dance song) excluded), as Squire was actually a pretty bloody good guitarist.

Listening to Ian Brown 'sing' is like watching a film made on a dodgy old betamax camera of someone that can't actually act; or a quadruple amputee trying to play a guitar (with effects pedals).

On top of that I can never forgive them for the act of naming a song 'Sally Cinnamon'... surely the crappiest songtitle ever...PLUS an ex-bandmate of mine played the song over and over back in about 86, I detested it then and I've hated such wishy-limp-wristed-bed-wetting-toss ever since. It was shortly after this moment that I discovered Big Black., which helped me a little - otherwise I might still bear a grudge against the Stone Roses to this day. :lol: *whistle*

Rant over, I feel a bit better now... :wink:
Dr Cerebus
Watcher

Post by Dr Cerebus » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:26 pm

Lord Mureth wrote:Rant over, I feel a bit better now... :wink:
No fair! I was just getting ready to do the forbidden... D'ing of the E's... :wink:

Although I think that much of Brown's/their work is genius (now)... they annoyed the feck out of me "at the time". People going on and on and on about how they were the BEST THING EVER. Not as irritating as peoples' psycho?fan?tick! masturbating over those cnuts The Smiths, I'll admit But it still riled me from time to time. On the upside, neither of them are Coldplay.
falling from ecstasy...
...amongst other things
WolfLover
Dawnrazor

Post by WolfLover » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:09 am

If you pass through my soul tonight
Gather all his troubles
Tomorrow's long with eternal night
Gather for tomorrow
When I'm gone wait here
Discover all of earth's surprises
When I'm gone wait here
I'll send my child my last good smile
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:49 pm

Lord Mureth wrote:What was even wrse was the fact that he inspired, if not a generation, at least of couple of years worth of musical acts to just not fecking bother about putting any effort into their vocals. It even eventually filtered down to the Eve's and the Mish (some songs on Neverland and most of Ultraviolet) - you've no idea how pleased I was when vocalists actually began to SING again in mid 90's.
Actually when I was still trying to join or pull out a band, I sometimes had the feeling that the least they expected from a vocalist was to be able to BLOODY SING !
Then they wondered why they turned into shite… Yes, the guy's a mate and pays for the pints after rehearsal, but fook, DON'T PUT HIM IN FRONT OF A MICROPHONE IF HE CAN'T BLOODY BUGGERY SING !
Also. If anyone can explain to me that "we want, like, attitude, you know, aye ?" which always infuriated me, I'll be grateful !
Besides, it also seems that most bands wanted to hire a singer because you had to have a singer to form a band. Any singer. Someone in front of the mike. Anyone. Anything. Oh, feck…

*rant over as well*
Fundraiser. You know, it's like Hellraiser, but without the Cenobites, the blood and all that.
IN NOMINE NEMO !
Lord Mureth
Nephilim

Post by Lord Mureth » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:58 pm

Dr Cerebus wrote:
Lord Mureth wrote:Rant over, I feel a bit better now... :wink:
No fair! I was just getting ready to do the forbidden... D'ing of the E's... :wink:

Although I think that much of Brown's/their work is genius (now)... they annoyed the feck out of me "at the time". People going on and on and on about how they were the BEST THING EVER. Not as irritating as peoples' psycho?fan?tick! masturbating over those cnuts The Smiths, I'll admit But it still riled me from time to time. On the upside, neither of them are Coldplay.
D'ing of the E's? I've no idea what you mean. Delaying the Echo? Dipping the Eldritches? *whistle* :lol:

The Smiths piddled all over the Stone Roses, and continue to do so this very day. But yes, neither of them are Coldplay... *notworthy*