FIELDS live review - Letchworth, Sept. 1986.

Interviews with the band, Carl McCoy and/or various band members. Transcribed and translated interviews are most welcome.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

CyberAndy
Moonchild

FIELDS live review - Letchworth, Sept. 1986.

Post by CyberAndy » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:48 pm

Digging through some old stuff, I found this Review I wrote ...

FIELDS.
Plinston Hall. Letchworth.
13 Sept. 1986.

On this dark, damp evening Plinston Hall was the only place to be for the return of our new local Superstars. The Venue was fuller than I ever remember it being, and there was a big queue for the bar !!

I missed the first song by The Victims Of The Pestilence ; Victims are led by the 'karmified' Gub, a bundle of energy who rarely stays still throughout the Set. Their brand of psychedelic pop is the perfect crossover, and once heard the tunes stay in your head. Sharp, catchy tunes come thick and fast. 'Another Boy' is great, and all too soon 'Why Does The Sun Follow Rainbows ?' brings things toi a close.
The applause is prolonged, and they return for an encore. Victims are on the move - Stay Beautiful.

After more drinks The Last Salute hit the stage. I'd seen them once before and wasn't impressed. Tonight they're better.
They've obviously been spending a lot of time at home listening to early Cult records !! Guitarist Pete steals the show with his Hendrix-esque guitar playing. Highlights include 'Fatal Moments' and the finale 'Wild Thing' ... a slow build up then all hell lets loose. Halfway through 'making my heart sing' members of the audience take over the stage. Pete manages to lose his guitar and dives into the crowd. A chaotic conclusion to a fine 30 minutes.

So the Main Hall fills, and the now familiar intro music begins. Much dry ice, then Fields emerge. Already The Nephilim seem to have acquired quite a cult following, and when you experience them live you can understand why.
It's pretty hectic down the front, and Power really is the name of the game.
Apparently quite a few people have been following the whole tour ...

A crunching, unrelenting sound gives the ears a battering. The Sisters revisited ?? Certain comparisions are going to be made, but I feel that Fields are both good and individual enough to succeed on their own terms.
Carls voice is excellent, as is the overall sound. The entire Set is very strong with lots of high points ... although 'Power' and 'Dawnrazor' particularly stand out. 'Dawnrazor' is, I feel, potentially the next Single.
Fields totally sound as though they 'mean it.'

The Nephilim went down a storm, and encore follows encore - the fans umwilling to let them leave, possibly realising that this may be the last time they will get to see the Band before they really hit the big time.
In all there were 4 encores - the Gig ending with a reprise of 'Power'.
We all went home smiling, safe in the knowledge that we had just witnessed a superb performance by one of the most exciting new forces in music today.

Those were the days :D :D :D :D
oldnephilim
Nephilim

Re: FIELDS live review - Letchworth, Sept. 1986.

Post by oldnephilim » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:44 pm

nice one thanks :D
“The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of man and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men who were of old, the men of renown.”
The Last Voice
Watcher

Post by The Last Voice » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:54 am

I agree.

Thanks for sharing.
Mine is the last voice you will ever hear... Do not be alarmed.
Elsye
Moonchild

Post by Elsye » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:21 pm

Thank you for posting your review.
Nice to see they already had it back then and were clearly going places. I can imagine what it must have been like to see them at that time in their career at such a small and intimate venue already with such powerful and strong songs.
you lucky thing. Happy memories, you're one of the privileged few.