Interview with Gizz Butt (ex-FoTN)

Interviews with the band, Carl McCoy and/or various band members. Transcribed and translated interviews are most welcome.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

angry bob
Nephilim

Re: Interview with Gizz Butt (ex-FoTN)

Post by angry bob » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:25 pm

squishy wrote:
angry bob wrote:FOTN is Carl/Rob's brand to make few quid from gigs, t-shirts, bullshit announcements about new material coming out, and mediocre trip to the past called Ceromonies :?
I disrespectfully disagree.

Ceremonies is a very good live album.
I thought more of that annoying to watch dvd. The cds are enjoyable for most of the part, though it's still trip to the past and the current renditions can't touch the ones from Earth inferno/Memoriam/Nefilim boots... My opinion... i know yours and i respect it;)
squishy wrote:Also, we've got no idea what FotN's raison d'etre is.
Well, in 80/90s FotN's raison d'etre was being a band that made music and toured. Something that McCoy apparently never really wanted to repeat after they split. So why he decided to be "FotN" again when he stated he is not interested in that name and getting back to the past? More public interest and better cash than he could ever get from being "Nefilim", i reckon.
I hardly believe that Carl would go on a plane and travel abroad for 2 grand...
morning comes as light burning out my eyes
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:34 pm

angry bob wrote:So why he decided to be "FotN" again
Didn't he say that this was the idea of his record company?

What I also don't understand is that he's into Chaos Magic and Automatic Writing but avoids chaos/chance/input from his hired guns.
"It's probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in." -- Lyndon B. Johnson
angry bob
Nephilim

Post by angry bob » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:03 pm

markandre13 wrote:
angry bob wrote:So why he decided to be "FotN" again
Didn't he say that this was the idea of his record company?
he's a record company slave now then:P
morning comes as light burning out my eyes
bjornrazor
Moonchild

Post by bjornrazor » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:31 am

You know what they say about idle hands!!!
Gav King has a new band :
https://www.facebook.com/DestroyDc
Drummer Spike T Smith wanted a vehicle for new songs he had been writing so decided
to call on the talents of guitarist Gav King who was also looking for an outlet for his energetic riffs and ideas
that had been fermenting for some time.
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:00 am

squishy wrote:
Kostas wrote: Old line-up reunion - no thanks, I'm afraid. As far as I'm concerned, you can't reheat the scrambled eggs you cooked two decades ago. Or rather you can - but such dishes are very seldom edible. Usually it's better not to even sniff them. I'm still scarred and bruised by the Stooges reunion album.
Most indeedy. It would be more honest to go the Front 242 and admit once and for all that there won't be new material and that they are their own cover band. (Though strangely, after a last CD which was anything but a rehash of same old, same old… Go figure :? )

And yes, I do think they sell on the FOTN name for nostalgia's sake. The old codgers know, but mostly, what I hear in festivals is "Field of the WOT ?" or "Blimey, I thought they had buggered off decades ago !"
(Sometimes different AFTER the show, granted… *whistle* *cthulhu* )
Fundraiser. You know, it's like Hellraiser, but without the Cenobites, the blood and all that.
IN NOMINE NEMO !
NorthernNephilim
Nephilim

Post by NorthernNephilim » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:49 am

squishy wrote:So Snake's out? Well well well. Not good news, I suppose. Can't say I'm really arsed, though. Now anymore. Although he was a jolly good bass player...
Yeah Snake was really rockin on the Hamburg and Dresden Gig!
squishy wrote: Old line-up reunion - no thanks, I'm afraid. As far as I'm concerned, you can't reheat the scrambled eggs you cooked two decades ago. Or rather you can - but such dishes are very seldom edible. Usually it's better not to even sniff them. I'm still scarred and bruised by the Stooges reunion album.
as far one of them is involved with Eden House + NFD again and the Wrights are somewhere around the planet i don't believe an old band reunion.
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:32 pm

markandre13 wrote: What I also don't understand is that he's into Chaos Magic and Automatic Writing but avoids chaos/chance/input from his hired guns.
I have several possible meanings for Hired guns. Were you making an allusion to the part of the above interview where Gizz Butt complains : “When we played “The 24th Moment” show it felt exciting and fresh. After that gig the second I tried to put a tiny bit of expression as subtle as the smallest touch of a wah wah pedal and Carl would raise the roof. We got into arguments and so went our separate ways. “ ? and wonder why Carl didn’t use the potentials of the ghost musicians (aka hired guns) ?

On my opinion the many times the old songs were played with different combinations of musicians showing different sounds is more than enough for me: I’d rather have the formar band line-up (P.Yates P&N.Write T.Pettit ) playing the old songs than ghost musicians who never were 'fans of FOTN in the first place' but hired punctually. Simply I’m never bored of listening to them with the sound they had and I'm looking forward to new composition fresh sound lyrics and melodies... which required patience we 've been taught that!

Then there is the other meaning for hired guns as the ‘gisier’ (seabed/stratum/goldfield) of fans skills and inspiration to which Carl doesn’t give a damn. To that absurd obstination for deaf mutism (never replying) the following word: 'stumb slaggering' taken from this morning awakening) seems to fit for lack of understanding.
Kostas
Dawnrazor

Post by Kostas » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:07 am

bjornrazor wrote:You know what they say about idle hands!!!

I know that a lot of you guys are into metal (and it's not such a bad thing :mrgreen: ) but when a Neph member forms a band like DestroyDc, then I 'd think that he plays in the Nephilim just for the good (?) money or the fame.
"...we are the lost ones, in the company of bright angels."
REANIMATORS - GREEK LEGION

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Reanimat ... 1677029341
http://www.myspace.com/thesequelfotngr
redshaman
Moonchild

Post by redshaman » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:26 am

Carl has the responsibility of making sure the band are up to the sound
thats required and to what the audience have come to expect live.
Remember Carl knows whats best for the Nephilim and knows how they should sound,fair enough,new members might/could be able to express themselves on new material (ahem),but not on existing material that must have a certain sound.
Reconviening the original line up would be a bad idea in my opinion.I want the Nephilim to move forward & progress with their sound.
I think Snakes bass playing was very impressive and its a shame if he's left.
wshaffer
Psychonaut

Post by wshaffer » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:01 pm

Kostas wrote:
bjornrazor wrote:You know what they say about idle hands!!!

I know that a lot of you guys are into metal (and it's not such a bad thing :mrgreen: ) but when a Neph member forms a band like DestroyDc, then I 'd think that he plays in the Nephilim just for the good (?) money or the fame.
Nah, I wouldn't necessarily say so. Sure, Destroy DC sound really really different from the Nephs, but some people have genuinely eclectic tastes. I listen to the odd bit of punk and reggae myself from time to time, even if goth rock/metal are where my heart really is. (Isn't Carl himself a bit of a reggae fan?)