METAL HAMMER LATEST MAGAZINE

Interviews with the band, Carl McCoy and/or various band members. Transcribed and translated interviews are most welcome.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

Ngie
Leviathan

METAL HAMMER LATEST MAGAZINE

Post by Ngie » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:47 pm

Announcement on Facebook by Rob Ferguson of a new interview in Metal Hammer http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/magazine/

Counting on a Dawnrazor's care to share with us the content of the article about Fields of the Nephilim Zoon *smoking*
Bau
Nephilim

Re: METAL HAMMER LATEST MAGAZINE

Post by Bau » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:01 am

hard to teel what that article is like , but from the looks of that picture , old quotes, old photos , one of the original bandmembers instead of the current line up , hmm I get the impression this inst a new interview but more of just a sort of a general history lesson on the band instead.
Twist of fate wont give me a break and myself I'm slow and tired ~ COC
Pale Rider
Dawnrazor

Post by Pale Rider » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:45 am

Metal Hammer (UK) *notworthy* , March 2012 issue ... in the shops now for a bargain £4.75!

metatron666
Psychonaut

Post by metatron666 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:55 am

Thank you so much for sharing. Very good article and interview....

By the way there was someone specualting about the deeper meanings of the tour dates .... here on the board ... ME

just mentioning ...
Bau
Nephilim

Post by Bau » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:21 am

"ive got a record of a lot of briths and death."

people collect the strangest things dont they.
Ive still got a record of some very bad 80's music. :lol:

as far as 'magicakal' or spiritual signifigance, it seems kind of foolish ,I mean conception is realy the start of life and a being having an affect on the world, not your birth , thats just one event in the many in your existance, and even with death, you existence has forever altered things and continues to do so but it mear fact. But I can understand in a way, Ive seen an awful lot of funny coincidences connected with both , but in as much other things too. *shrug*

in anycase it must make it hard booking proper gigs if one of your requirement has to be some special date all the time. Doesnt the fact that you are playing a gig already make it special? I myself am all for blazign a trail making my own holidays and dates of signifignace all my own not borrowing someon e elses... infact i think Sunday I might celebrate another unbirthday. Its my prebirthday unbrthday celebration. *cthulhu*

well mabee Carl just does it for the fun of it. after all he didnt get to celebrate birthdays and stuff as a kid so why not. I hope someday someone throws him a big surprise party with cake, lot of presents and al the trimmings to make up for it. He's got an unbirthday comign up , someone realy should. *whistle*
NorthernNephilim
Nephilim

Post by NorthernNephilim » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:46 pm

He did a very good work

(i mean the photographer)

:mrgreen:
Bau
Nephilim

Post by Bau » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:09 pm

well I read the whole article

what Ive learned,

Carl likes to perform magick rituals with a pillow case on his head- now tht is creative head gear. the article states that fact further:
"I used to make my own hats. I'd fashion them from top hats and stetsons and sew them all together"
this doesn't surprise me a bit

"I'm still essentialy a shy kid" aww the sweety. but this was pretty obvious.

"nephilim gigs are different to going down to the dog and duck to get drunk and watch an ac/dc tribute band"
he shouldnt knock it, some of the most mystical gigs have been some unknown band playing their heart out for a few people in some little dive. I've wtinesses some special times in peoples lives, mabee it means nothing to the rest of the world but in that special moment those bands were the best in the world to at least somebody. Its realy bad juju try and exault yourself by putting down others , bad juju indeed.
Not everybody can be a 'rockstar' but everbodies creative expression counts and there is magic in it. many more so than anything he has ever done. One thing he realy missed from his spiritual upbring. in the spiritual rhelm, the last are first and the first are last.

speaking of the above
"we become one with our audience" etc. yeah um I think every good band that has had a realy great intence show with an audience that loves them will tell you that.

"the person off stage is the person who is trying to get on in life and be sociable." "the person onstage is the real me, that where I feel more confortable"
this, IMHO, is a real delema. because if you feel like you cant be yourself ALL the time, and only on stage you can truly be yourself, then you are a prisoner, you can never be free. Your trapped and can never truely live. Sleeper , alseep to your own potential, indeed the need for a pillow case. To have your main connection simply with an audience on stage? For all his spirituality and magick to feel such distance and lack of connection to others, to life and to yourself seems a very lonely existance. Poor boy. Well atleast he has his music.
Feelings of alienation realy makes people miss out on a lot I've noticed. I always find it rather sad. Having come from a place like that many years ago myself I kind of understand, and having experienced the difference.
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:31 pm

happy and even happier with this interview coming as a birthday present.
Thank you very much Pale Rider 8) 8) 8)
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:23 pm

Bau wrote:this, IMHO, is a real delema. because if you feel like you cant be yourself ALL the time, and only on stage you can truly be yourself, then you are a prisoner, you can never be free. Your trapped and can never truely live.
"In confidence... Actually I'm quite different. But I so rarely have time to show it."
-- Ödön von Horváth

No one is ever free. I'd really like to be one of those Clint Eastwood western heroes, only in IT: The stranger in old rotten rags who comes in from the desert in a cloud of dust to rescue the failing software project. But there are also other things I like to do.
"It's probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in." -- Lyndon B. Johnson
Bau
Nephilim

Post by Bau » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:17 pm

[quote="markandre13"][
No one is ever free. quote]

perhaps never completely while having to live within the confines of a mortal life.

But I feel pretty free, I do what i want, say what I want, act how I want, and dont worry about what others think or how they perceive me (within the confines of what I believe is right, I would not want to behave in a way or say things that would hurt others , but that is not a lack of freedom, but a choice out of love and respect). And yeah some people think I'm totaly crazy because of it, because they themselves are so caged.

Carl says he is only comfortable on stage and the real him, but also says that still on stage he hides behind all the garb and smoke, so he still isnt TRUELY being himself onstage if he still feels vulnerable and wants to hide.

I say what I say because I know some people have crippling shyness and it is not a pleasant thing. It causes a lot of people to use things to cope, Carl preferes to hide , but other use things like alcohol and other substances that lowers their inhibitions and gets them into all sorts of trouble, Ive known people like this. Or they put on a phoney facade for others , of toughness, or afluence, or holiness, etc, to try to be perceived in a way they think will please others and mask their fear. None of it is a route to true happiness, enlightenment and spiritual growth IMHO. And I dont see how anyone can say there are practicing shamanism, as he implies, if they are held prisoner to such an ego driven thing.

I guess my views come from growing up with animals more than people where most of the hangups of the human world have no meaning. Eh perhaps its better that Carl is the way he is instead of more like me and extremely wild, obnoxious and opinionated and not giving a flying flipping fart. haha I supose that can get me into as much trouble as someones shyness would. But I bet I have more fun. :mrgreen:
angry bob
Nephilim

Post by angry bob » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:03 am

Bau wrote: "nephilim gigs are different to going down to the dog and duck to get drunk and watch an ac/dc tribute band"
he shouldnt knock it, some of the most mystical gigs have been some unknown band playing their heart out for a few people in some little dive.
Last time i saw them, in Poland, it was pretty much the dog and duck. The only difference i didn't get drunk...which was a big mistake...No booze no magic;P
morning comes as light burning out my eyes
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:04 pm

Bau: Being crippled by being shy is indeed a sad thing. But only if one doesn't try to overcome or is not able to live with it. On the other hand, it can give an interesting twist to ones character. Speaking for myself, I wish I hadn't been shy at certain points in my life. But on the other hand, it put me to where I am now and most of the time I use to think that I am pretty satisfied with it.

And being shy doesn't mean that it cloaks all aspects of ones personality.
And one can also find satisfaction in being shy (if one has a sense for drama).

So I don't think that it's an obstacle into the metaphysical journey of shamanism.
It sure is an obstacle, but when you know it is there and grok it, you can walk around it.
(I am not quite sure what I just said, but I think it sounds good.)
"It's probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in." -- Lyndon B. Johnson
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:25 pm

Bau wrote: some of the most mystical gigs have been some unknown band playing their heart out for a few people in some little dive. I've wtinesses some special times in peoples lives, mabee it means nothing to the rest of the world but in that special moment those bands were the best in the world to at least somebody
Some FOTN gigs happened to be like that with hardly a couple fistful of people as the audiance and however a damned hot atmosphere. I wonder if that will ever happen again, not knowing whether it's something to wish or avoid in the future at least for those who waste money in the going. In that Lyss is about to be a surprise.

It's funny and cool that Carl made his hats himself two of one: now a mistery is solved. :D
shackled
Watcher

Post by shackled » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:14 pm

Thanks for posting the article! *notworthy*
I sleep with poison dreams and a borrowed hope that died.
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:10 pm

Not only the hats he customized, the clothes as well are "doubled".
Not many people sew leather neither make their own clothes + bracelets.
*notworthy*
Kostas
Dawnrazor

Post by Kostas » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:22 pm

I really enjoyed reading this. thanx....
"...we are the lost ones, in the company of bright angels."
REANIMATORS - GREEK LEGION

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Reanimat ... 1677029341
http://www.myspace.com/thesequelfotngr
Bau
Nephilim

Post by Bau » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:39 pm

markandre13 wrote:Bau: Being crippled by being shy is indeed a sad thing. But only if one doesn't try to overcome or is not able to live with it. On the other hand, it can give an interesting twist to ones character. Speaking for myself, I wish I hadn't been shy at certain points in my life. But on the other hand, it put me to where I am now and most of the time I use to think that I am pretty satisfied with it.

And being shy doesn't mean that it cloaks all aspects of ones personality.
And one can also find satisfaction in being shy (if one has a sense for drama).

So I don't think that it's an obstacle into the metaphysical journey of shamanism.
It sure is an obstacle, but when you know it is there and grok it, you can walk around it.
Coincidentaly ,the subject of shyness came up in conversation elsewhere the other night, with other musicians...

In a way I can agree with you that it being a part of ones personality trait does not have to be a bad thing, I do have a weakness for 'shy guys' and it can express itself as good things like humility and gentleness, as you say, it can have a positive creative influence, it obviously it did with Carl in some ways, but IMHO it seems to hinder much more than it helps in others. And I certianly dont think it helps any kind of spiritual growth unless you can overcome it. Not to be harsh or unkind, but quite honestly, I think any real shaman would think he is a bit of a joke. Anything coming from a place of ego like shyness is a hinderance if you let it control you to the point he seems to have, to where you feel like you cant even be yourself. With that I do have to give Carl a lot of credit though, admitting to the shyness, thats not an easy thing to talk about, being so personal, especialy in an interview adn someone in his position, so I realy admire and respect that and his openness about it, that in itself does show a courage to over-ride the fear. I bet under all that garb and pompous pseudo-shamanism (and pseudo-satanism for that matter) there is probably a realy fun, great guy.

But its not for me to judge these are only my personal observations. After all he chose to talk about it publicaly. It seems to me he wouldnt talk about it the way he does if it wasnt an issue. But mabee he is quite content with things they way they are. If it was me , Id want more than to just 'get on in life' in an uncomfortable manner. it just doenst sound very enjoyable. What can I say, I'm sensitive , I dont like to see people uncomfortable and unhappy... unless of course they enjoy being made uncomfortable and unhappy then I can accomidate them :twisted: I guess thats why I like shy guys, there is nothing more fun than embarassing them :oops: :twisted: :lol: :P
Bau
Nephilim

Post by Bau » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:55 pm

markandre13 wrote:So I don't think that it's an obstacle into the metaphysical journey of shamanism.
actualy sort contradicted yourself completely from the first sentence to the second, but in a good very way because it has gotten me thinking *notworthy* and I'm glad it sounded good enough for you to say it :P

this subject has been nagging at me quite a bit so I've doing some reading, finding articles on the subject on shyness facinating, but dont know how acurate they are , such as this website

http://www.succeedsocially.com/shyness

it got me to thinking a lot about shyness as it's equivelent would be timidness and/or submissiveness in the animal world , its benefit as a survival instinct when face with dangers real or perceived, also in a species social order etc. and also about how it relates to human spirituality and culture. I'll probly post more about it in the shamanism section as its far too off topic here.
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:56 pm

Hi all, my turn to comment

<Carl been trapped in limbo, but time to move on.

=>And so the story goes on and on...

Exertion is a concept describing the use of physical or perceived energy. It normally connotates a strenuous or costly effort related to physical, muscular, philosophical actions and work.

« For many of us the devil exists only as a metafor for the exertion of self will in opposition to power structures of religion and other forms of authority that stamp down on individualism and rebellion. »

=> My thought here is there are two ways with things : the natural fluent one and the forcing things : the fight or the flow. What teaches the meeting an opposition ? Perhaps that we're training our will and need to fight for winning because it is time for us to experience satisfaction this way. It can also be an indication, a sign that we're doing or going the wrong=hard way. Instead of a more easygoing one, all the more if the context as limbo should say : it's time to concentrate (at least stop) and go back home/to the dream and reconnect to the source.

« …/... this is something that sounds eerily familiar to Crowley and Thelema.
« Loosely I'd agree that these philosophies are similar », Carl concedes cautiously.
« The thing for me is it's more of an individual approach. Crowley I guess was similar in that respect. « I certainly find there is nothing I desire from (my occult beliefs). It's not about me gaining things. The outcome I want from my beliefs is merely inspiration. If my beliefs can inspire me creatively and they can inspire the Nephilim audiance as well, then I think that it's my purpose in life because that in turn inspires me. »

=>That is to me the best part of the interview as he's 'certainly' (?) giving its seat to the only place that we individually have left to meet with him, not as 'the crowd of fans'. It has been and will be as long as we know who we are, and since we're forbidden the access to his company on the one hand by his fame and on the other hand by his partnership of always with Lynn+ their children.

« Perhaps the biggest link between Nephilim and metal is through the sound not the philosophy. »

=> He ! He ! He ! This cannot be spoken indeed :)

About Crowley : « by all means read his writings but you have to bring out your own understanding of it, not someone else's point of view. »

=> I've given an eye to some of Crowley's, been surprised as the odd feeling to be in a known place
but without any memory of ever being there, and bored by the many of the to be read.

« So he doesn't wear a wizzard's hat. - No, I wear a pillow case ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! »

=>Inside the hat I guess is the pillow case as a shock/sound absorber as without it his head would work and hurt as a sound box?

DIY= do it yourslef !

I tend to enjoy very much the concept in those times of over industrialization/consumation. 8)
Bau
Nephilim

Post by Bau » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:38 am

Ngie wrote:=> « I certainly find there is nothing I desire from (my occult beliefs). It's not about me gaining things. The outcome I want from my beliefs is merely inspiration. If my beliefs can inspire me creatively and they can inspire the Nephilim audiance as well, then I think that it's my purpose in life because that in turn inspires me. »
this brings to mind a strange concept:

Write music that is utter nonsence - your fans find all sorts of unintended esoteric meaning in it. You then read their ideas and write your next music based on those ideas. They then come up with more ideas about what you wrote based on what they wrote, that you use again for your next recording and so on. Your fans of course think your ideas are brilliant. The ultimate in giving the people what they want. 8)

« So he doesn't wear a wizzard's hat. - No, I wear a pillow case ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! »

=>Inside the hat I guess is the pillow case as a shock/sound absorber as without it his head would work and hurt as a sound box?
you have a good idea there Ngie! pillows are often used to tame and muffle the sound inside drums. I guess they could work to silence the pounding in ones head too. But I find sleep is best for headaches. "sound hammers my head"

alternative rituals involving the use of a pillow case:
- lucid dreaming
- study the meanings of dreams
- precognative dreams.
- sexmagick practiced for or with the person of your dreams (use of beds and pillow cases optional)

I have tryed lucid dreaming, hard work and dedication to it to maintain the ability, but a lot of fun. Your own virtual reality that you can control (up to a point)

I've also had many precog dreams, but almost always they are about seemingly meaningless stuff. Places I go and things I see and hear that seem to be mundane and have no purpose. I almost never seem to dream about important things like plane crashes :roll:
but thats ok because mine can be fun. I have often drempt about unusual and specific things and find them the next day. How I wish I would dream about finding a winning lottery ticket tonight *cthulhu* with my luck it would only be worth $5 :evil: