The Nephs in german "Gothic Magazine 70"

Interviews with the band, Carl McCoy and/or various band members. Transcribed and translated interviews are most welcome.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

Enoch
Dawnrazor

Re: The Nephs in german "Gothic Magazine 70"

Post by Enoch » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:36 pm

To me, it's quite ambiguously phrased, somehow taking the piss out of overly worshipping fans - I just can't really translate that ;) But sure, it's a clear case of upping wordcount and sounding more important than it is, too... I agree with weebles. It's exhausting to read. Continuation:

What has been evoked on the debut record from 87 (?) in the song "Volcane (Mr. Jealously (sic!) Has Returned)" is perfectly incorporated nowadays: CARL McCOY is the erratic eccentric whose artistic momentum erupts at times like a sleeping volcano without any warning, before the thundering eruptions of creativity give way to a deceiving rigor mortis until the next eruption. Encrypted fragments of signals from limbo; vague impressions from the eternal circle of creation, rigor mortis and rebirth. Thus, it is hardly surprising how little CARL McCOY has changed during this past quarter of a century as a FOTN front shaman: The same noticable pentagram ring and stylishly worn out leather cloths including the trusty old ranger boots in a similarly antique state of use. Only the opaque shades and the slightly dusty men's hat over the brownish black head of hair are stylistic updates due to that which is known as progress in the everyday reality outside the hazy Fields cosmos. If McCOY weren't McCOY, the enigmatic forty-some would be smiled at not without reason for being a living cliché of himself that on the outside doesn't differ at all from his countless imitations. Forever defined to be a rigorously choreographed role as a fanatically revered figurehead of a movement of daydreaming escapees from reality and moonstruck dark romantics. How vanishingly little he has in common however with the scene's icons that are just as surrounded with celebrity cult as he is, like ROBERT SMITH or PETER MURPHY, is demonstrated with impressive consistency since the beginning of his collective submerging into the psyche: CARL McCOY is the caretaker of the legendary fields of the nephilim, appointed by higher powers, who does not allow for any look behind the scenes. Maybe only because there are no scenes. Crosscheck with the demigod in black.
[Finally the bloody interview begins, phew....]
Night obliterates the day and all the fun begins
The Damned - Curtain Call

Citizen of a nation otherwise populated mainly by blinded, brain damaged xenophobes
Marilia
Moonchild

Post by Marilia » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:33 pm

I think it is tooooooooo much. Thanks for your time Enoch though
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:48 pm

I like Enoch's version better than the original one.

Guess what I 've read:
CARL McCOY is the undertaker of the legendary fields of the nephilim
Harharhar... :wink:
"It's probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in." -- Lyndon B. Johnson
Enoch
Dawnrazor

Post by Enoch » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:59 pm

Thanks Mark ;) Finally, the interview itself - even the questions are so mindnumbingly... -_- Anyway, maybe there's something in there that interests someone:

You are known for your weakness for extreme weather conditions - thus you should feel right at home in this icy basement of Berlin at the moment
I think it's just great, I love this snow and ice everywhere. There's nothing more beautiful than a real snow catastrophe: All the peole are stuck in their houses, nothing works anymore, life is taking a break. Furthermore it's so beautifully quite then. Everything seems so clean. And so innocent.

FIELDS OF THE NEPHILIM could only be seen at festivals lately, when can we expect an own headlining tour?
In the future, we will focus more on playing in regions where haven't been seen before or only rarely so. I personally enjoy it very much to appear in countries where the name FIELDS OF THE NEPHILIM is not very well known. When we first created the band, one of the basic thoughts was to face new and unknown challenges, taking risks. This still is an extremely important part of the process of development. Of course it is an undescribable feeling to perform in front of a euphoric FIELDS audience - on the other side, this causes the effect of resting on one's laurels and the show becomes a routine. We want to conquer our audience; it's only this hunting passion that makes a good band.

Which countries have FIELDS OF THE NEPHILIM never appeared in?
There is a list of places that goes on for pages where we really want to play next! Although we already existed for nearly 30 years, we're slow in certain things and have to catch up, as anyone could see in the past. We always liked to appear in Europe; especially in Poland we were greeted very friendly in the past years. The audience there very much reminds me of the one in Germany at the end of the 80s. The feedback is similarly phantastic. And as a sidenote: When we were there this past february, it was really cold. 40° below zero - a really interesting experience. But maybe this really is our spirit; that is, what the name FIELDS OF THE NEPHILIM stands for and what we're about.

Cardinal question: What do the newly formed FIELDS OF THE NEPHILIM represent in the year 2011
Today, it doesn't have to be explained anymore what FIELDS OF THE NEPHILIM incorporate. Full stop.

If you look at it naïvely, you're more than a simple rock band with overly much artificial fog and laser effects.
That's the way I see it, too. We're not one of those metal bands forced to record discs, play concerts and compete amongst each other. In my view, that's nothing different from a sports where everyone tries to beat the others. I have a few buddies in bands, with who I absolutely cannot talk about music. They are fantastic musicians, but they get wound up too much in their work. Basically, despite their talent, they are nothing but athletes competing for a medal. To me, this has nothing to do with the creative fulfilment, to perfect an album in peace and without pressure. We're enjoying the luxury of taking the time that we need. We don't have any competition to live up to. We do what we do. What happens around us doesn't interest us. We're FIELDS OF THE NEPHILIM and go whatever way we must. That has been the case and will always be the case. Maybe this suffices as a vague description of what we represent.

When can we expect the "Ceromonies" live 2CD / DVD that was announced quite some time ago?
Time flies. At the moment, I can announce that the material is finished and will definitely be published! FIELDS OF THE NEPHILIM work in a very weird way that is hardly comprehinsible for the ones outside. Most don't know that I'm involved of necessity in every smallest step of production. No matter if it is the filmed material, the artwork or the assembly. Conclusively, this means I have to do almost everything on my own.

Sounds very much like a control freak...
Not a real control freak, just not a good team player. I like to work alone - which is why with us, everything takes ten times longer than it would if I had a crew of twenty people. In the past, former band members repeateldy claimed that it is a nightmare to work together with me. But it is a fact that I'm my own castigator and my biggest problem!

A critic [referring to 'castigator' from before] that is suspiciously afraid of cameras, and who isn't overly enthusiastic about backstage footage and other inofficial insights into his art...
There is newer backstage material, but it won't be published. I think this documentary style is dispensable kitsch. Who really cares about what we do in our dressing rooms, during rehearsals or inside the tour bus? Nobody should try to create an image of me based on backstage footage, or try to find out who I really am. This is useless. Not even I myself can really say who I am. People benefit more if they come to the shows and listen to our records.

Speaking of records: Your latest album "Mourning Sun" was published more than five years ago - when can we expect its successor?
I'm working at new songs repeatedly every now and then - a new album is our highest priority in 2011!

Eleven is a beautiful number...
A beautiful number indeed. We'll see. What will be, will be.

Your daughters EDEN and SCARLETT can be heard on one of the tracks on "Mourning Sun" - do you whish for them to succeed you in continuing the work of art that is FIELDS OF THE NEPHILIM?
I think this won't happen. Both of them have grown up with FIELDS OF THE NEPHILIM of course, and they understand what it is about. Still, I would strongly advise them not to step into the chaotic world their dad lives in.

Looking back, how have your views and attitudes changed in 30 years?
In time you realise what your strengths and weaknesses are. What the basis is of all that you do. On the business side of things I've learnt how to deal with all these bootlickers, rubberstamps and turncoats you cannot help but meet. Those precious experiences keep you down to earth.

What happens next on[?] the FIELDS OF THE NEPHILIM?
There are a lot of exciting ideas how it could continue. We're launching the next part of our never ending journey. After having focused on live gigs alone in the past years, we're now finally taking care of a new LP.

Mael Rose [<-- damn you *cthulhu*]

Box: Brainstorming with CARL McCOY:

Aleister Crowley: Shouldn't be taken all too seriously!
John Carpenters "The Fog": I love that flick!
"Miami Vice": The Episode "Death And The Lady" was almost bearable with one of our songs!
"Burning The Fields": Everyone starts somewhere!
Night obliterates the day and all the fun begins
The Damned - Curtain Call

Citizen of a nation otherwise populated mainly by blinded, brain damaged xenophobes
Kostas
Dawnrazor

Post by Kostas » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:36 pm

thanks to Enoch for his time and effort. Cheers mate!
"...we are the lost ones, in the company of bright angels."
REANIMATORS - GREEK LEGION

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Reanimat ... 1677029341
http://www.myspace.com/thesequelfotngr
squishy
Nephilim

Post by squishy » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:37 pm

Thanks, Enoch! *notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy*
McCoy wrote:I think this documentary style is dispensable kitsch. Who really cares about what we do in our dressing rooms, during rehearsals or inside the tour bus? Nobody should try to create an image of me based on backstage footage, or try to find out who I really am. This is useless. Not even I myself can really say who I am. People benefit more if they come to the shows and listen to our records.
That is very, very true. *notworthy*
McCoy wrote:Aleister Crowley: Shouldn't be taken all too seriously!
It's also quite true - and puts a stop to the still popular stories about McCoy being a devotee of Crowley
remember what the doorknob said
NorthernNephilim
Nephilim

Post by NorthernNephilim » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:12 pm

Enoch wrote:To me, it's quite ambiguously phrased, somehow taking the piss out of overly worshipping fans - I just can't really translate that ;) But sure, it's a clear case of upping wordcount and sounding more important than it is, too... I agree with weebles. It's exhausting to read.
Hehe what i even felt during translating the other stuff i scanned. But i think this alsy must be hard for the interviewer, doing an report with Carl - remembering just asking him a wrong question or one simple wrong word, he cuts off!
angry bob
Nephilim

Post by angry bob » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:34 am

Ngie wrote: As for being blessed with superhuman outstretched arms, as long as I can consider myself human, to speak Frankly, I am personaly satisfied with human 'pet' arms rather than with any 'super' 'outstretched' stuff whatever you imagine.. ala Mister Fantastic for instance?

I'm not imagining anything. What are you imagining? Are you maybe German? :mrgreen:
morning comes as light burning out my eyes
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:59 am

angry bob wrote:Are you maybe German? :mrgreen:
How very mean of you! :mrgreen:

Apropos Crowley: I've read a biography about him last year and there's this story when he bought himself a house in Scotland. One day he wrote a letter to the police:
"I am very suspicious about the prostitution in my village."
A few days later a letter came back: "We haven't heard of any cases of prostitution in your village."
To which Crowley replied: "That's what I find very suspicious!"
"It's probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in." -- Lyndon B. Johnson
baba
Watcher

Post by baba » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:53 pm

many thanks enoch *notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy*

I don't understand much of this interview or how McCoy can so contradict himself.

To say they are all about the need to conquer new audiences, yet prefer europe with it's friendly audiences. So they have shown as it's where they have stayed.

also in the past he has said DVD would be presented documentary style, now this is kitsch? :?

Personality #1 meet personality #2 . Even him saying he works alone is a contradiction.
squishy
Nephilim

Post by squishy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:51 pm

baba wrote:Personality #1 meet personality #2 . Even him saying he works alone is a contradiction.
*notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy*
remember what the doorknob said
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:59 pm

baba wrote:how McCoy can so contradict himself
Maybe that's because he's using the same shampoo as my wife is using:
*whistle*

But I find that somehow reassuring. In the past the team McCoy, Wright, Petit, Wright and Yates were giving lot's of contradicting interviews themselves. Now McCoy unites all of this in his persona.
baba
Watcher

Post by baba » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:10 pm

markandre13 wrote:[size=50But I find that somehow reassuring. In the past the team McCoy, Wright, Petit, Wright and Yates were giving lot's of contradicting interviews themselves. Now McCoy unites all of this in his persona.[/size]
I don't agree that he now unites anything.

"In the past, former band members repeateldy claimed that it is a nightmare to work together with me. But it is a fact that I'm my own castigator and my biggest problem!"

"Nobody should try to create an image of me based on backstage footage, or try to find out who I really am. This is useless. Not even I myself can really say who I am."

I still don't think #1 and #2 have yet been formaly introduced *whistle*
weebleswobble
BayWatcher

Post by weebleswobble » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:35 pm

I am The Nephilim!

Err, no I'm Not.

Yes I am!

ad nauseum
The first bit sounds like Bruce Wayne, and the second bit sounds like Batman.
NorthernNephilim
Nephilim

Post by NorthernNephilim » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:55 pm

like a German joke:

"Where you are going"
"Into cinema"
"what movie"
"quo vadis!"
"What means that?"
"Where you are going"
"Into cinema"
"what movie"
"quo vadis!"
"What means that?"
"Where you are going"
"Into cinema"
"what movie"
"quo vadis!"
"What means that?"
(.......)

:lol: :lol:
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:50 pm

... a good team or time player?

Good interview, easy to read, of course nothing compared to the 190 pages of LOPPSY2.
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:03 am

Kostas wrote:thanks to Enoch for his time and effort. Cheers mate!
Indeedy ! *notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy*

"We don't feel no contradictions"…

I get the feeling, for what it's worth, that he's got simply bugger all to say (which is no problem per se), so he just repeats a few catchphrase in every interview, which all blends into ad repetitam…
*whistle*
Fundraiser. You know, it's like Hellraiser, but without the Cenobites, the blood and all that.
IN NOMINE NEMO !
weebleswobble
BayWatcher

Post by weebleswobble » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:37 am

ThomasB wrote: I get the feeling, for what it's worth, that he's got simply bugger all to say (which is no problem per se), so he just repeats a few catchphrase in every interview, which all blends into ad repetitam…
*whistle*
FOTN on The One Show:
"so Carl what's a Nephilim?"- "It's a big bloke angel thing innit"
"Great, take us out with Chord Of Souls!"
The first bit sounds like Bruce Wayne, and the second bit sounds like Batman.
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:41 pm

ThomasB wrote:

“We don’t feel no contradictions.. “

< No we don’t : KAOS! :lol: !

ThomasB wrote:

“I get the feeling, for what it's worth, that he's got simply bugger all to say (which is no problem per se), so he just repeats a few catchphrase in every interview, which all blends into ad repetitam… “

< very likely not wrong, and linked to the above statement commented by Squishy : McCoy words : “Who really cares about what we do in our dressing rooms, during rehearsals or inside the tour bus? Nobody should try to create an image of me based on backstage footage, or try to find out who I really am. This is useless. Not even I myself can really say who I am. People benefit more if they come to the shows and listen to our records. “

< Then... “Who really cares about what we do in our dressing rooms, during rehearsals or inside the tour bus? “

<Me and many of us I’m sure. Because there lays eventually the real thing beyond the mascarade. Who wants to be there? Is it a question or an evidence of nobody = the answer ? All in all it shows a fear to disappoint people whose opinion matters but if it stays under control.

The whole McCoy -as every body else’s- shouldn’t be afraid of the real true precious one, and face it instead as the only gift and therefore special opportunity that we have to make our way, each to each different destination..
What could be the need of an attempt to bluff as many people as possible?
A simulacre/illusion of gaining more comfort in life perhaps.
Whatever, losing tracks on oneself seems the price.

Carl words : “Nobody should try to create an image of me based on backstage footage, or try to find out who I really am. This is useless.”

< We have noticed. :wink:

Carl words : “Not even I myself can really say who I am. People benefit more if they come to the shows and listen to our records. “

< It is not possible to know who we are alone, it requires somebody else’s answer for that er.. elaboration. The others contribute to the construction of the self. That makes that we’re very vulnerable to who we find on our way. That’s why hiding can be safe sometimes. Then one cannot hide and run ad vitam eternam, can they?

As to know if I’m german, Angry Bob, I don’t live in Germany however my ears are often tuned towards that direction, as for germs am I made of them or mad after them.. that’s hard to know. The only sure thing : we have changed era and become Homo Toxicus.
*cthulhu* :mrgreen:
angry bob
Nephilim

Post by angry bob » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:26 pm

Enoch wrote: McCoy: We always liked to appear in Europe; especially in Poland we were greeted very friendly in the past years. The audience there very much reminds me of the one in Germany at the end of the 80s. The feedback is similarly phantastic. And as a sidenote: When we were there this past february, it was really cold. 40° below zero - a really interesting experience. But maybe this really is our spirit; that is, what the name FIELDS OF THE NEPHILIM stands for and what we're about.
cheers for that! not thhhhhaaaaaat cold :mrgreen:
morning comes as light burning out my eyes