Scans by Northern Nephilim (always updated)

Interviews with the band, Carl McCoy and/or various band members. Transcribed and translated interviews are most welcome.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

NorthernNephilim
Nephilim

Scans by Northern Nephilim (always updated)

Post by NorthernNephilim » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:24 pm

Last edited by NorthernNephilim on Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:53 pm, edited 19 times in total.
NorthernNephilim
Nephilim

Post by NorthernNephilim » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:21 pm

The Nefilim - Zillo May 1996

All scans in full resolution (24 Bit lossless JPG, 600 DPI)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BUXKQYDO

Translation:

Carl McCoy is back again. After a break of almost 4 years and the Exodus of Fields of the Nephilim, the "Pope of Goth" unleashes with "The Nefilim" another view from his creativity.
The shortly released "Zoon" became a real hammer which melts the old "Fields" style + the hardness of metal to a new rising force. Fans can survive it live on the Zillo Festival [the Mera Luna was called Zillo Festival on it´s first years].
Our reporter Kiki Borchardt visited Carl in England and brought us interesting things to the light.

Translation:

The Nefilim - risen from the deep.

At the beginning it looks like that this interview doesn´t stand under a good star. At the day where Carl McCoy wanted to say something about the long time confirmed and always delayed release from his new album after the "Fields of the Nephilim" split, a very strong winter is conducting here.
Not only in Germany where my plane starts 2 hours delayed to London and so i arrived too late at the headquarter of the Record Company Beggars Banquet who signed Carl.
England got stuck under a big bunch of snow, so it takes nothing to explain why Carl has also not arrived yet.
He lives away from the city and got stuck somewhere with his car on a snowy street. He took a train after that and it will also take a lot of time before he arrives the finish.

Enough time to think about the history from the extraordinary "god of goth".
Now after a long break, where almost 4 years went by with lots of rumours about the new record with his new band "The Nefilim", no one of his fanatic fans forgot him (and some hardliners of them are camping at his house in Herfordshire so the Record Company told us NOT to print where he lives because more and more campers came and his garden gets ruined).

Thereby, "Fields of the Nephilim" wasn´t state of the art like The Sisters of Mercy, the "Fields" were handled as a copy of them. No one took them really serious - a band where everyone is poured in flour to look like risen up from the dungeon.
1984 the "Fields" took many gigs together with punk bands, after that they switched into the dark and atmospheric sound. They never sounded like the "Sisters", just McCoys voice a bit like Mr Eldritch.
But the point is, the "Fields" really became that what the "Sisters" are supposed to be - Goth Rock par excellence, mystic, dark, full of treasures.

The first LP was released in summer 1987 - on "Dawnrazor" they got a better sound with stronger guitars, a better production and a clearly structure wihin the songs which are dominated from Carls voice.
And this voice + the icy eyes from Carl are 10 times more mystic then the sunglasses from Mr Eldritch...

... but no one really realized what´s behind the eyes ore the sunglasses.

"Fields of the Nephilim" became more and more their own style. Carls bariton vocals are changing between whispering and screaming combined with the dark moods in their songs. This was also the trademark on the next album "The Nephilim" which beamed from 0 to 2 on the German Indie Charts. the EP´s "Psychonaut" and "For her light" became also hymns at the Indie Scene.

It´s hard to say where at this time the split rushed through the band but the image of them told the truth: At the one side the 4 comrades from Herfordshire who just wanted to make a bit of music and joined the lifestyle of Rock´n Roll.
At the other side frontman Carl Mc Coy. For him, "Fields of the Nephilim" is more than a band. It was a almost religious vision, he wanted to bann the devils which are threating his soul. He wanted to realize this things which came into his brain on silent hours, but the "Fields" can´t fit his ideas any more.
1990 - Elyzium was the last record with the original lineup + 1 year later the live recording "Earth Inferno" and October 1991 the split came.

At the winter of 1993 he already played gigs with his new formation "The Nefilim" and at the Zillo Winter Festival, so there was a surprise to listen for. Carl was working with harder sounds and more speed, nothing from the atmospheric style from the last years. So it takes no wonder that the first album from "The Nefilim" "Zoon" lives from hard drums and fast riffs.

Carl has reached the office from Beggars Banquet now. He is waiting for me in a small room on first floor. In this room are just 2 couches made of leather and in the middle a small fire which is the only light in this room. A really good ambience for an interview with the "King of Goth".

But at first i have to go in another room where Carl wants to show me the video clip of Penetration, most of the artwork in this clip is done by Carl himself, not using typical "Horror" elements. While the clip is running Carl stays in the back at the door - i have to sit down at one seat. Distance to other people is very worth to Carl but he tries to get cooperative, he knows the "Zillo" and it´s Festivals where he had much fun.

"This is a good situation to test my new material at the audience" he says.
"The people really got surprised and there are many differences how they came clear with the new stuff. In some cities the results are very good - at other, not. But general i was pleased enough with the results."

The first "Post Nephilim" album should be released 1993 but more than 2 years passed by.

Carl:
"I have changed very much because it doesn´t want to sound like i would. I am a perfectionist and THIS first album where i can do MY thing this is very important for me. And i did all things like the artwork for the album and the video which took much time.

All detaills where Carl works on or all things what others do for Carl - he is watching them with eagle´s eyes. He doesn´t want a bad surprise like the "Psychonaut" video any more.

Carl:
I like the visual medium. I want to do more in this direction - a very long video according to "Zoon" - the whole album, for example. I like to make videos which are helping peoples fantasy to understand my music, what massage is packaged into the song.

...what massage a song provides... this is completely different to each person who listens to the music. For example: Getting some statements to "Penetration" from Carl, what this song means to him, what he feels listen to this speed on the drums, the hard guitars + his voice - it´s very hard to squeeze some infos out from Carl.
Carl doesn´t like to talk about his music. He is the creator who makes each tiny detail in a song which takes time a lot of days, completely insulated from the world outside, manager, record company, other musicians, his strange visions and so on. He can´t explain a "story" in a song.

so i gave up and switched to another topic, but that isn´t easy. He doesn´t like to talk about private things. Some say he has a daughter, he loves her very much and there might be also a girlfriend...

Carl explains:
I´m a very isolated person. My music that´s all what should get into the outside from me. But this is sometimes very hard to me, many things in the songs aer very private - going out to the stage and playing the songs live - it costs me much effort to do this, but otherwise i like it.

This rough type of music he does now + this sensible soul who doesn´t loose much words about it - it gets me wondering.

Carl:

This roughness is just a medicine for me to get out the extreme feelings in my soul. On the album there is enough room for other things. Songs like "Melt" or "Shine" are more atmospheric like the old stuff. But i wanted to do a cut to the things which i did with the "Fields" before."

How is your relationship to your "old" comrades?

Carl:

"Oh well... It seems to be like he is laughing a bit the first time...

"I met Tony Pettitt shortly before Christmas and this was very nice. With the others ...so... the split of the Fields has it´s causes so i don´t want to know about what they are doing now."

The split from the "Fields", it was a liberation to him.

Carl:
"The easier way was to go on like we begun, it made enough success. But i wanted to do other things, more extreme and that was not possible with them."

But Carl doesn´t mad a fully close up to the past.

"Many songs from the "Fields" are always significant to me. So i will play live always some of them. Maybe they sound a bit different with the new band, but that´s just evolution."

The new line up is: Paul Miles - Guitar, Simon Rippin - Drums and Cian Houchin - Bass andsometimes he helps Carl at the programming.
for example: at "Penetration" all 4 contenders were listed as an author, but Carl is the man who gives the direction and the mood for the whole album.

Carl
"We are recording the Songs in "layers". The base of them is my origin, like a demo just recorded alone by me. Then we are adding all other parts step by step."

At the info sheet from the Record Company:
"At "Zoon" all elements of his [Carls] vision are united and Exorcism is completed."

Carl is laughing:
"this saying is NOT from me. I don´t know what´s coming after this. Now this album is major, but i also take part in other projects again. I need my other art of expression like drawing sculptures, but no one should get a chance to see them anytime. They are my own private visions and that´s...

Carl makes a momentous sight:

... nothing up to others!"

"Zoon" promo advert:

Zoon record review:

Translation:

under the name "Nefilim", Carl McCoy - ex - frontman of "Fields of the Nephilim" knows about that some of the old fans doesn´t like this stuff. But "Nefilim" is a real backbone because McCoy realises his visions im music and lyrics without a compromise. Other people would just do something safe and played the old "Fields" concept again and weared it out.
Not Carl McCoy, for Zoon he was singer, musician, composer and programmer! Zoon keeps some of the old stuff between like "Shine" but the main parts are the songs which are not compatible to the old style.
Zoon is a bloody bastard in which breast 2 hearts are beating. One is for the old, morbid, melancholic gothic stile of Gothic, the other takes part for Death Metal and beats in it´s hard rhythm. the aorta of both hearts goes to the big throat of McCoy. At one hand the adjuatory voice, at the other hand roaring like Grind Core.
When both hearts are mixing their blood, the good style of old "Fields" comes through like in "Zoon Part 1 & 2 - Saturation" which comes im epic 9 minutes and 41 seconds.
At latest here, horrified Fans should have beared down the shock, which Zoon gives at the beginning.
Last edited by NorthernNephilim on Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
squishy
Nephilim

Post by squishy » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:49 pm

Thanks a lot for the scans + translation *notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy*
remember what the doorknob said
gingerpazuzu
Nephilim

Post by gingerpazuzu » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:40 pm

:D :D very much appreciated :) Thankyou *notworthy* *notworthy*
angry bob
Nephilim

Post by angry bob » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:54 pm

you're a good lad. thanks!
morning comes as light burning out my eyes
Pale Rider
Dawnrazor

Post by Pale Rider » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:04 pm

NorthernNephilim - you star! *smoking* *notworthy*
Don
Dawnrazor

Post by Don » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:53 pm

Pale Rider wrote:NorthernNephilim - you star! *smoking* *notworthy*
Indeed! *notworthy*
Bau
Nephilim

Post by Bau » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:43 pm

interesting, thank you kindly *notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy*

Carl:
"I like the visual medium. I want to do more in this direction - a very long video according to "Zoon" - the whole album, for example. I like to make videos which are helping peoples fantasy to understand my music, what massage is packaged into the song. "

I wonder why he hasn't done more? monetary constraints perhaps.

"I need my other art of expression like drawing sculptures, but no one should get a chance to see them anytime. They are my own private visions and that´s nothing up to others!"

pity, I'd like to have seem some of that. I wonder if it would be anything like his grail woman artwork.

I wonder who the model was for it.

and why she has the symbol of 'antimony' on her head?

mabee because the symbol of 'venus' or 'woman' is also used for it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimony

or is it 'anti-money' ? *whistle*
gingerpazuzu
Nephilim

Post by gingerpazuzu » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:19 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Anti-money.... *notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy*

a very slight connection betweeen the Venus + antimony sign,makeup or specifically kohl derives from antimony...venus is a woman...also Fallen Angels Azazel or Gadreel depending on which source you rad taught women tha atr of cosmetics....I'll do a bit of research + try to come up with an answer.
Bau
Nephilim

Post by Bau » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:02 am

gingerpazuzu wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: Anti-money.... *notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy*

a very slight connection betweeen the Venus + antimony sign,makeup or specifically kohl derives from antimony...venus is a woman...also Fallen Angels Azazel or Gadreel depending on which source you rad taught women tha atr of cosmetics....I'll do a bit of research + try to come up with an answer.
failed makeup artists eh?
I see she is terribly over made up!
ah that is why they were fallen then! *whistle*
Here is a perfect example of their evil:
gingerpazuzu
Nephilim

Post by gingerpazuzu » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:11 am

eekk she's very scary :shock: .....mind you when I'm really old I'll probably look demented like that :wink:
Bau
Nephilim

Post by Bau » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:13 am

gingerpazuzu wrote:eekk she's very scary :shock: .....mind you when I'm really old I'll probably look demented like that :wink:
:lol: *notworthy* I can only hope to achive some messure of that dementedness! Well its the thought that counts, we all can't be equisitly demmented. Some of us are just demented on the inside *whistle*
gingerpazuzu
Nephilim

Post by gingerpazuzu » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:33 am

:lol: :lol: Actually I think she's a long lost relative,think of her with ginger hair,dressed in black + younger... :wink:
Bau
Nephilim

Post by Bau » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:41 am

gingerpazuzu wrote::lol: :lol: Actually I think she's a long lost relative,think of her with ginger hair,dressed in black + younger... :wink:
:lol: well you do have her sence of humor *notworthy*
gingerpazuzu
Nephilim

Post by gingerpazuzu » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:06 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm gonna be one very scary old lady :twisted:
NorthernNephilim
Nephilim

Zillo July 1995 - Rubicon

Post by NorthernNephilim » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:59 pm

Zillo July 1995 - Rubicon

all scans in full resolution (24-bit lossless JPG, 600 DPI)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M8LJIY6W

Translation:

It was a big shock to all fans as in winter 1991 came true that frontman Carl McCoy and the others [the original FOTN Band line up] are going their own ways and FOTN doesn´t exist any more.
Its a fact that there are many bands "gone" who have split and did a time later an reunion, also the "Fields" fans all hope for a reunion. But this hope went gone as McCoy did his solo project [Nefilim] and the rest of the band did their debute as "Rubicon".
By listening to them [Rubicon] it went true that there were many artistic differences which made the "Fields" split.
But the old fans had some more problems to get friendly with "Rubicon" as with McCoy. But this should be changed with the new "Rubicon" album "Room 101".

Completely different to McCoy, "Rubicon" made a total new beginning. The new sound of the band is almost not to compare with the "Fields" stuff and with Adam Delany they have got a new singer. He was the neighbour of McCoy but he hasn´t anything in common with him. Some critics reproached to Rubicon that they just went getaway forward without any orientation and meanwhile the band wasn´t so conclusive to the audience as the "Fields" before.

Now their new album "Room 101" is on my desk - nothing on it sound like reminding to the old times, but it sounds NOT unsecure or undetermined. Tony Pettitt (Bass) reports to Zillo what "Rubicon" did since their last last album - so we let him speak:

Tony:
"I must admit that our first album sounded really scatterbrained. Live experience wasn´t always conclusive and unfortunately i can´t give the guarantee that we can do super gigs now. Live is a special thing. Every concert is different. Sometimes on stage is everything in good mood and sometimes nothing will work.
We won´t like to let so much time pass by to our first album after the Fields split and show all people that we exist so far. So we worked on to start as quick as possible with Rubicon, maybe a bit too quick. We had to find an identity for the new band at first and it wasn´t easy to Andy [Delany] to get in McCoys footsteps as the singer."

Tony is really in pleasure with "Room 101" but in matter to the label of "goth" or "wave", the band will take a hard trip with their album. With "metal" how some journalists presumed, the sound has really almost nothing to do with "metal". Some different kinds to play the music are on "Room 101" to listen for, but "Rubicon" won´t fit in any drawer. Even it is not really possible to describe Andy Delany´s voice. Sometimes he sounds like Jim Morrison from "The Doors" but in the next moment he sound unique again.
Amazingly at this alternating bath of styles it comes to an really atmospheric conclusion on the album, so i think it´s the major part of "Rubicon" to do a mixture between different styles and be a master in all of them.

Tony:
"All mediums in England are really perplex to our style. For NME we are not "rock" enough so they didn´t any report about us. We also had a meeting with "Metal Hammer" but as we predicted we were not "metal" enough for them."

But we won´t do "metal" or such things. We are supposed to fit not in such a drawer. I know some people would have problems with that, that our sound is not to catalogize so i make aware that the album will not be selled so much. But we are lucky with this album, and thats essential."

With "Fields of the Nephilim" he [Tony] survived what it means to be successful in business. It was comfortable but at the other hand it goes in conclusion with loss in freedoom in doing different music and so on. That´s it where "Rubicon" counts in and they all have enough freedom in creating music.

Tony:
"At the "Fields" era the fans expected the "Fields" - sound. There was no room for experiments. In matter to this "all gothic" history i do not a shame on me to my background. But i´m feeling restricted if i can´t do advancement in music. That´s what´s so nice in "Rubicon", the band does always advancement. We have recorded so much songs for "Room 101" but at the time to make a selection for the album we survived that we have recorded many DIFFERENT songs. For "Room 101" we have chosen just the songs which fit into a circle. But just letting us play all we have recorded, you´ll never mind that all these songs are from the same band."

Tony laughs ...

He really blossoms out when he talks about "Rubicon" and their (recording) sessions which they did at these tiny studio in the chamber from Tonys house edging to London.

Tony:
"It is very easy to record an album with commercial success. but when we are in this small studio we know that we are making music which is fitting us together as a band. The situation is the same as we had our first meeting years ago and did our first small sessions. We just wan´t to do music where our minds can live in. If we would take matter that our sound is commercial enough with good chances for the charts - the fun would be over. A song is not our song then, just a product we wanted to sell. Doing this we all should better work in a screwdriver factory or similar."

But the new album sounds like they did much worthiness for a good production. Sometimes "Room 101" sounds bombastic, so some reviewers throwed them into "Metal". Pettitt acknowledges that they sometimes pile it on during the recording but not on purpose.

Tony:
"Like i said - "Room 101" is a document from a part of the recording we did at the last 2 years. When there is sounding something bombastic then NOT in case of commercial consideration. On the next album, maybe the next EP´s, we attempting to sound more rough and earthy."

So we are anxious to see what the future of "Rubicon" brings to us.
squishy
Nephilim

Re: Zillo July 1995 - Rubicon

Post by squishy » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:25 pm

NorthernNephilim wrote:Zillo July 1995 - RubiconSo we are anxious to see what the future of "Rubicon" brings to us.
Poor guys!
Bau
Nephilim

Post by Bau » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:25 pm

well it does give the impression in this last interview that all members of FOTN were feeling creatively 'stifled' by the band being sort of 'pigeon holed' to one style or sound, do to to their sucess. I guess that happens to a lot of bands, then they are expected to allways produce the same thing and never evolve or expand their horizons. It's a shame.

I guess some bands will always stick to a certain predictable formula and others realy diversify. In either case some can pull it off , some can't. But thats subjective I guess depending on the individual listener.
squishy
Nephilim

Post by squishy » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:56 pm

Bau wrote:I guess some bands will always stick to a certain predictable formula and others realy diversify. In either case some can pull it off , some can't.
Personally, I think that there are really few worse things that could happen to a band than sticking to a "predictable formula" (which isn't the same as continuity, btw). It always spells disappointment, and in capital letters. I can easily appreciate or at least forgive an impossibly weird, difficult, discontinuous or incoherent change. Repetition or stagnation are too much of a challenge for me.
gingerpazuzu
Nephilim

Post by gingerpazuzu » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:01 pm

*notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy* feel exactly the same too..