Scans by Northern Nephilim (always updated)

Interviews with the band, Carl McCoy and/or various band members. Transcribed and translated interviews are most welcome.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

Dr Cerebus
Watcher

Post by Dr Cerebus » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:16 pm

*notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy*

Quality.

May your flaggon never run dry.

falling from ecstasy...
...amongst other things
Lord Mureth
Nephilim

Post by Lord Mureth » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:39 pm

Top stuff, thanks for posting these - have not had a chance to read em yet, but I'll settle down with a nice pint later... *notworthy*
NorthernNephilim
Nephilim

Fields of the Nephilim - Zillo July 1991

Post by NorthernNephilim » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:24 pm

Let´s take another trip into history, get into your DeLorean and switch on the Flux Compensator *notworthy*

Fields of the Nephilim - Zillo July 1991

All scans in full resolution (24 Bit lossless JPG, 600 DPI)
http://www.megaupload.com/de/?d=6OSRI20O

Translation:

Zillo Festival cancelled!

Fields of the Nephilim are annoying their fans!

On January, Fields of the Nephilim gave their confirmation to play on the Zillo open air festival. Conditions are: They want to do the gig on second place, it means they wanted to play before the headliner. Headliner should be a very good act.

So we to entered into negotiations with "The Jesus and Mary Chain", "The Sisters of Mercy" and "The Psychedelic Furs". With every band the negotiations went into weeks. We have made the experience that some tour managers with their lazy egocentricity are very egoistic. They did not put through some phone calls, didn´t answer to faxes and they did not inform the bands. They have took so much time like our festival should begin in some years, maybe in the year 2000 [*cthulhu* *smoking* ]!

Maybe it depends on that, that name of our magazine means nothing to them and they just want to do business with their old partners and they are just shoveling the bands among each other not introducing some newbies ore helping them in this "shark business".

Weeks went by and 2 Zillo reporters went to England.

Finally from the tour management of "The Jesus and Mary Chain" came the confirmation to play. As fast as possible we organized a meeting with the Reid - brothers in London. The archivement is: Nothing was in final stage for the band, they must find themselves and maybe they are in the studio at the festival´s date. To make it short: Some days later the cancellation came from the tour manager.

The "Sisters" are interested to play. One condition was a fee for this gig with 250.000 Deutsche Mark (remind this is a fee for just ONE gig, not a whole tour). Firstly the "Sisters" were in doubt to be on one stage with the "Fields" (the jealousy between them), but we made long discussions to clear up this useless hickhack. Barefaced we bet just 100.000 Deutsche Mark for the fee including profit participation as an extra. The "Sisters" are interested so on. but we have do delay the festival - no message came any longer, not even a cancellation. That´s not the "fine English being".

So life´s going on, went into business with "The Psychedelic Furs" for the headliner position now. They are also very interested, but hey wanted do be in prelude to "The Simple Minds". If this not happens so they don´t want to play on the Zillo festival. They have promised us to play - weeks went by... Unfortunately we are waiting for the confirmation today.

So we have the option to do the festival with "Sonic Youth" and "Dinosaur Jr." and the "Fields" as the third contender. But the Fields are not ready to play on third place. But we WANTED to do this festival with the "Fields" and we cancelled "Sonic Youth" and "Dinosaur Jr.".

A short time later the confirmation from "Phillip Boa" came and the "Fields" accepted him as the headliner.But just one single day before putting this issue of our magazine to the final print - the cancellation from the "Fields" came in."

We are not a commercial festival host, we are just a small community to organize a festival just for you. The "Zillo" brings so much high stakes to the Indie Scene and so we have also a participation for the popularity of the "Fields" in the scene, like this cover story we did again for them in this issue - but then they acknowleded our work by sending us a cancellation! This is a slap in the face to all Zillo - readers and "Fields" fans!

On January we made so much effort to build a festival programm which fits to the "Field´s" conditions and now they just didn´t want to play for their fans. In the past the "Jübek Festival" in Schleswig Holstein [Northern Germany around Hamburg and so on] went by also without the "Fields". Maybe the "Fields" just have the wrong mentor or they just care less for their fans. But for buying records the fans are good enough for them, it just seems to be enough to make money with them and don´t take the torture of a festival on the shoulders any more.

On the "Jübek Festival" they gave the explaination: "Carl McCoy has catched a cold and must lay 2 weeks in the bed"...

For my part he should stay in the bed forever and think about whether this brings success for his career.

We have tried since January to make a joyful program for you. This has took so much time, money and nerves. But now just a few hours before final print stage of this issue we can´t rearrange any more. The program must fit into this issue, next issue is on September - too late! So you should give all your thanks to "Fields of the Nephilim"!

Now this issue is our summer double issue, i will go into vacation after finished work on this. Somewhere on an isolated village i don´t want to know about this shit and take a rest for 4 weeks.

After that i will be fresh enough to go on.

Sincerelly, "Easy" Ettler

PS:

Who wants to vent steam about the cancelled festival, you can write to us. We would release much of your stuff.
Who wants to say "Fields of the Nephilim" his meaning about this, you should write in English to their Record Company, they are forwarding the letters to them.

SPV GmbH, Abt. Fields of the Nephilim, Postfach 5665, 3000 Hannover 1

On the next page you´ll see the flyer from our festival which is cancelled now.

["cancelled!!!"]

Fields of the Nephilim - Fog of Horror

You should be no prophet to notice that "Fields of the Nephilim" are just before climbing the peak in Germany. After the successful "Elyzium" LP and the shortly released "Earth Inferno" Live - LP, the constellation of luminaries are proud to them. But on youngest past went by the "Fields" stood not under a good star or just too much in the fog. A very profane cold has sent Carl McCoy into bed and they cancelled their gig on the Jübeck Open Air. So there are just camomile tea and bed rest to help Carl now because we want to see him in good condition on September 7th at the Zillo Open Air Festival with his "Nephs" and maybe we get a short teasement from their next album.
Our reporter Thomas Guntermann went to a meeting with Carl McCoy before the virus has hit him.

Carl McCoy likes and he is living his image, but actually he hates this word. "Shamanism is the inspiration for my whole life" is the most quoted sentence from his interviews. Why should he be another on stage as he really is? You can trust all or nothing to a band which writes songs like "Dead but Dreaming", "Reanimator" or "And there will your heart be also".
For a long time, the history about "Fields of the Nephilim" is not so old as the topics appearing in their songs. They didn´t align much with their first single on their own label - "Burning the Fields" (1985). At first the "Shamanism - Rockers" have earned more recognition with the next single, released 1986 on Situation Two - "Preacher Man".
It was not only the song which is brilliant, also the demolished leather clothings from Carl McCoy (vocals), Tony Pettitt (bass), Peter Yates (guitar), Paul Wright (guitar) and Nod Wright (drums) provided furor.
And after Carl has told some press bollocks who hanged on the "Fields" quickly some things about shamanism and mysteric cults, the amazement was great. The "Goths" are moving their caskets again through the whole "Pop" landscape, as some suspected. But none of this absurd minds were stuck on the "Fields" into today.
the 1987 released debut opus "Dawnrazor" was made in 10 studio days. One year later, "the Nephilim" came, with "The Watchmen" and "Moonchild" it carried 2 successful sellers in it´s grooves.

"The whole atmosphere from a gig is significant affected by the audience. The moods i will provide gains momentum if the atmosphere is in cycle. It´s like a ceremony - a mass celebration" Carl McCoy.

Their last studio work - "Elyzium" took 7 weeks of work before it has opened its "Gates of Silent Memory" to the audience.

When i was meeting Carl for the interview, he stretches out his hand with the long finger nails to me:

"Hi, i am Carl - you are the guy from Zillo?"

Sitting side by side to him and spectating him watching me through his sunglasses prepared with blinders within the discussion you can make the indentation that Carl is doing his matter really serious. Carl stays behind himself, he is almost a shy person. The sunglasses belong to his standard outfit when he is talking to persons who are unknown to him. They are providing distance and he doesn´t allow someone to break this distance. Maybe someone is getting to penetrant to him, the hatches are falling down:

Carl:
"This belongs to my privatsphere. I can´t stand people who are ransacking their fellow men about intimate details, i don´t want to let someone know to much about me."

This are good conditions for an intimate exchange of experiences!

Compared to "Dawnrazor" and "The Nephilim", "Elyzium" sounds more clear and in particular the voice is not so filthy any more. One what depends this on?

Carl:
"If you´re talking about the production and the clarity of the sound i agree, this is something what we always wanted to archieve."

This self-praise is factual taking a bow to the producer Andy Jackson.

Carl
""He has really tried to do something new.

Carl gives respect.

"He already has made enough experience with Pink Floyd"

The mystical topics are more present in the songs on the new album. Elyzium is a term from the greek mythology, it describes a place where the souls are meeting together to the final rest.

Carl explains placid:
"You can call this place also Paradise. But it comes also close to the Christ´s association of the hell. However, Sumerland describes a place where souls are staying during they are waiting for their rebirth. This is almost like the Limbus."

Christianity also knows a place which is called "Limbus" where the unchristened, dead children are staying. Religious terms and practices are ruling the lyrical dimensions of Carl McCoy. This topics are their trademark but they also brought massive critics to them.

Carl:
"We have never constrained our audience to assume to this topics. Actually i have derived this pictures and topics from myself. this is something that comes very close to me. When i was young i became interest to shamanism after i have discovered some transcendental experiences. After i had the chance to watch behind the veil of reality, i bring very much time in my life with going things onto the ground."

Shamanism is a really old religious practice which is fitted into magical views of the world. As a shaman you have the option to get in contact with the "kingdom come" and get experiences in transcendental cognitions by leading over the own soul into "Sumerland" and there the soul gets equipped with extraordinary skills.

Carl explains:
"This process becomes manifest in the music. This is how modern shamans work. these things are standing in a modern context now. you must tranfser these old practises into the time of today. the audience plays a big role at our concerts. The whole atmosphere from a gig is significant affected by the audience.The moods i will provide gains momentum if the atmosphere is in cycle. It´s like a ceremony - a mass celebration."

"We always wanted to speak to the emotions from the people. My lyrics don´t describe something, they are reflecting my experiences. to deal with emotions is body language. People from different countries have the ability to understand this because they feel that. Thus thay become an impression from the generally idea which we follow and this is significant. It is not always reasonable to construe the lyrics in lyrical appreciation this will make to much enigma and furthermore you would step into many analogys."

At so much indigestive topics, the writing of lyrics must be an agony, or?

Carl:
"That is always different, sometimes i get into a state of automatic writing. At this my innermost is opened and ideas can flow. Sometimes i have only some small ideas but bringing them not onto paper. I never can step behind mounts of books and writing the lyrics together how others do. The biggest challenge is to concentrate the ideas of a length of a song, cutting aspects out and make these things more simple."

Naturally this doesn´t work out always, somethimes there is so much to express to fill a half on an LP like with the 17 minutes long "Wail of Sumer" provides. The whole acustic scenario gets on videos and on stage its visual counterpart. The clips are filled with ritual and although with morbid and humouristic(!) aspects.
At "Preacher Man" for example the "Fields" have drawed an theatralic, modern scenario where cowboys, witches and goblins with gas masks are jumping over the screen. For "Blue Water" a central topic - the death - is reinterpreted into scene with macabre and humouristic style. Carl sings as a hanged gangster on the gibbet or his voice comes out of a cooking pot from the cannibales.

Carl:
"Our music is really very visual so we try to combine this elements on our shows. The shadows, the fog and the silhouettes have became to a close ingredient. I like that very much so we got a very good feeling on stage. Depending to the videos you should take into consideration that our first video like "Preacher Man" and "Blue Water" are made with small budget. So we have to work with simple means very schematic. Especially this two examples doesn´t orientate to the lyrics. First at "Psychonaut" we had more possibilities to bring really on what we wanted to see. I am really successful with this clip. I always wanted to do experiments with sounds and visual things, so videos are coming really forward to me. I have planned to work more with visual mediums again in the future. So i can realise more of my artistic ideas as only with my music."
squishy
Nephilim

Post by squishy » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:52 pm

remember what the doorknob said
shackled
Watcher

Post by shackled » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:51 pm

Thanks NN- Great stuff!

The politics of the music industry can be just like any other at times...
Too bad, really. :?
Bau
Nephilim

Post by Bau » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:10 pm

damn the pic of Carl on the Zillo cover looks uncannily like my dead xhusband. when he was very young that is, not how he looks now *whistle*

hmm sounds like that the whole Zillo show was wrought with problems with all the bands.

On the "Jübek Festival" they gave the explaination: "Carl McCoy has catched a cold and must lay 2 weeks in the bed"...

For my part he should stay in the bed forever and think about whether this brings success for his career.
fuckin A! sounds good to me! *snuggles under the covers* :twisted:

it realy bugs me people ideas of success. What , other humans throwing you bananas and telling you how high you are on the tree? yipee. Then if you happen to accidently fall out of it they all piss on you.

Carl:
"This belongs to my privatsphere. I can´t stand people who are ransacking their fellow men about intimate details, i don´t want to let someone know to much about me."

appearently.I used to be very sort of uptight like that. But ever since the Esquire article I've sort of throw caution to the wind, well somewhat *cthulhu*
I bet he hates those damn paparazzi :evil:
ransacking? hmm sounds more like when people go through celebrities' garbage...
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:42 pm

Zillo 1996 P.22/23 obviously shows the original colour of Carl's eyes, and it's the one that has my preference... except perhaps even more gold in them. 8)
NorthernNephilim
Nephilim

Post by NorthernNephilim » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:38 pm

The Eden House - Gothic Magazine Nr.62 (Winter 2008/09)

Scan in Full Resolution:

http://www.megaupload.com/de/?d=FV2BRBRD

The Eden House - a league of it´s own

Translation:

What started since years ago as an "Goth All Star" project, with Stephen Carey and Tony Pettitt it gets an conceptional update. Firstly the songs sounded very heterogene to get enough room and freedom for the guest musician or singer, but in time a typical "The Eden House" sound crystalized out. It´s no wonder when one of the best "Goth" guitarists meets up with one of the most influencial bass players.
Just listen to the lead guitar of "This Burning Effigy UK" classices like "Emeritus" or "An Untold Release" and congenial "Fields of the Nephilim" masterpieces like "Psychonaut", "Sumerland", "Love Under Will" and naturally "Last Exit for the Lost" which gained a absolut special position through Pettitts distinctive bass playing.
At another time, "Steve" was ready to give some answers. Who´s obtaining so much creative energy needs difficult outlets to let the inspirations flow. Accordingly quickened, Tony and Steve are reporting about the work on their "The Eden House" Long Player and about the teamwork with the above listed correspondents.

Marginally, this is the first interview which "The Eden House" has given to a magazine on the whole world. We are feeling flattered, but now: Off we go!

Was the "All Star" thought of "The Eden House" a basically thing from the outset?

Stephen Carey[SC]:
"No, never. Actually all began wiht an "All About Eve" - gig at the Union Chapel in London 2001. Together with the ex-drummer of "The Nefilim" Simon Rippin i met the female singer from "All About Eve" Julianne Reagan (she already appeared on our last album "This Burning Effigy"). On incident she wanted to work with me on some new material. But she was at full time together with "AAE" abnd i was also busy, the idea growed up to get antoher guest musicians and singer into the boat."

Accordingly i thing the song writing process is very "open minded". Switching on the equipment and try if there something interesting happens?

SC:
"We don´t go under any constraints. There were no deadlines, no schemas were we had to fit into. The excitement on the work with "The Eden House" is to see how other singer or musicians can get new facings from our songs which you can´t find yourself maybe , sometimes just in minutes"

The list of musicians who where participated into "The Eden House" is long and very grandiose.

Tony Pettitt [TP]:
"Indeed we have worked together with very different characters. And yet, not all of the material we have recorded should be released on the first album."

But meanwhile we can affect that Stephen and you are building the nucleus of the band?

TP:
"Circa since one and a half year ago i begun to record with Stephen songs together just for fun. They were not directly supposed to be for "The Eden House". We were just jamming and trying and the ideas just had flown to us, simple as that. In all we affect that all this material just sounds like "The Eden House" because i already made some takes with Steve..."

...amongst others the genius "Neph Style" bass playing on the "Goth Galore" dance hit "To Believe in Something" in which the wonderful Monica Richards from "Faith and the Muse" has lended her voice.

TP:
"This was already the first "The Eden House" track where i was free to bring me in. To me i already knew that we are currently becoming something special."

Depending on the tracks which i was able to listen to and some mp3 snippets on your MySpace profile you can notice that more you 2 have worked on "The Eden House" together, so more distinctive and typical the sound of the band has evolved.

SC:
"We are seeing this just as well. I think this has really became to a melting point of our influences and affections. In addition we could run riot in stylistic things more then ever as in the bands we were before and we already are."

Lets make butter to the fish :D : When is your first - currently untitled - debut availiable in stores?

TP:
"In spring 2009 this good piece will be released on Jungle Records [maybe FREUD 100]. It has currently no name not even a working title. We thing that we can´t baptize the child until it hasn´t grown up. We should have 80 - 90% finished of the album but we have no presentiment or vision how the final result should sound. Maybe a bit weird but also fascinating."

Are there currently musicians you want gladly for taking part on a work at "The Eden House"?

SC:
Yes naturally, ahead Robin Guthrie from "The Cocteau Twins" and Dave Fielding from "The Cameleons".

TP:
"According to me there should be at first i want to work together with some producers: Lee Scratch Perry for example. Or maybe Geordie from "Killing Joke". All others who are very high priced from me are not living any more. Sad but true."

Your concluding final statement?

SC: Enough dreaming. start doing.
wild bill buttock
Nephilim

Post by wild bill buttock » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:04 pm

*notworthy* *notworthy*
Good work NN. You are a gentleman and a scholar.
squishy
Nephilim

Post by squishy » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:21 pm

It's winter 2008 and they haven't finished recording - yet they seem confident the CD will be released in spring. :shock: How very much unlike some other people :shock: :shock: :shock:

Anyway, I hope they'll pull it through. Would love to hear it soon. Thanks a lot, NorthernNephilim *notworthy*
NorthernNephilim
Nephilim

Post by NorthernNephilim » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:29 pm

Fields of the Nephilim - Sonic Seducer Winter 2005/06 (Mourning Sun Release) - Part 1

all scans in full resolution (24-bit lossless JPG, 600 DPI)

http://www.megaupload.com/de/?d=3DJBU0Z0

The magic rays of the dolorious sun.

Fields of the Nephilim

“Who knows the end? What is risen can also be fallen again. And what is sunk can also appear again..”
(from: Call of Cthulhu, H.P. Lovecraft, 1926)

Not so many news have became a sensation at the gothic scene since the last 10 years as the spectacular message from the glorious return of the English Gothic Rock icon Carl McCoy and his Fields of the Nephilim. More then 15 years the fans of the most character defining bands of “dark rock” have to wait but finally they become reward with the 4th studio album “Mourning Sun”!

Carl:
“During my artistic absence I did many different things and I had always something to do with the music industry in different ways, but in diverse unlucky circumstances I was not able to release some album with the name “The Nephilim”. I have written so many songs and recorded them, whereof the audience couldn´t make any response of. Today I have so many god songs together so that I thought at the beginning of this year to release “Mourning Sun” as a double album! But then I became clear that probably most of the people would be overstrained with the matter that they have heard nothing for years from the Nephilim and becoming now 2 albums presented with this epic and not really short songs. My songs are not really pop songs so you have to take such a time to listen to them. But I think, that the next album would be released somewhere at the end of 2006!

“I can do less compromises today, supposable that makes “Mourning Sun” to the first unaltered Fields of the Nephilim – album at all!” Carl McCoy

Since the last 20 years th high counting fanbase has recognized in different alternating baths of dark feelings that the coexistent blessing and curse of being an artist who doesn´t measures into normal benchmarks like FOTN – mastermind Carl McCoy. Cult – like adorism for the Gothic – Rock milestones “Dawnrazor”, “The Nephilim” and “Elizium” and after that from the beginning of 1991 after a collective “post – split – trauma” the uprising to a mythos came which glance became some scratchings through 1993 by doing some short living projects and some baffle winding comebacks (that sheers some fortune to some analogys of the carrier from the “arch enemy” Andrew Eldritch and his Sisters of Mercy!). With “Mourning Sun” Carl McCoy and his Fields of the Nephilim are going on their way which began in 1985 in old dimensions and glory. And they have come to stay, like McCoy promises.

“Unknown pleasures and morbid fantasies, that´s what I give to you”
(from: “Earth Inferno”, Austin Osman Spare, 1904)

Carl:
“In different meanings, “Mourning Sun” is a new beginning. I have had so many personal causes to make this step. All what I have made under the name “Fields of the Nephilim”went under a certain concept at this times. “Mourning Sun” can be called as a compendium of my previous works, as an end of a defined period of legislating. On the one hand certain gates are closing, but others are opening. But what is hidden behind these doors I have to find this out.”

What is hidden behind the nam McCoy everyone can rehear it on “Mourning Sun” at the end of November. On habitual epic length, mythological broadness and psychic depths they made a chorus line to their musical history and connecting the best moments and style tokens of the previous way – leading albums to a compact, dark, atmospheric, rock – all – over from which even the loyaltiest fans never assumed to dream about: Raw Goth Rock elements from the albums “Dawnrazor” and “The Nephilim” meeting to soundtrack - a – like, dreaming passages of later “Elizium” days, the pure energy from classics like “Moonchild”, “Preacher Man” or “Last Exit for the Lost”melted with the pastoral – unsearchable mood from songs like “Psychonaut” or “For Her Light”. What has been detained for months ago just as viewiness or has been smiled pityful has came true: The “Fields of the Npehilim” are returned” And Carl McCoy is pleasured more then ever.

Carl McCoy about his albums

“Burning the Fields (1985)”

“There is a line at the lyrics of “Melt” which would characterize the “Burning the Fields” EP very good: “Innocence can be hell...” I have hated this awful saxophone which appeared in some songs. When I hear wind instruments, I become stomach cramp!”

“Dawnrazor (1987)”

“The title track belongs to my all time favourites and it is the best example for a typical Neph – Song in my eyes! But thereby the rest of the album has many strong songs. This whole “Dawnrazor” - time as a young band was exciting and fascinating!”

“The Nephilim (1988)”

“A very important artistic experience for me with an very important album. It highly differences from “Dawnrazor”: We have experimented very much on “The Nephilim” but otherwys we have tightened and etablized our style. Where “Dawnrazor” is a row of songs, “The Nephilim” became to a converged and closed work.”

“Elizium (1990)”

Between “The Nephilim” and “Elizium” we released the son “Psychonaut” for which we spent so much time at the studio. It is very experimental, this decade of time has given me so much pleasure. The other participants of the band and our former record company have hated “Psychonaut”. I think with “Psychonaut” I have fit for the first time the real vision of a song which I have on my eyes for a long time: It should become very apocalyptic and epic what isn´t comparable to the songs on “Dawnrazor”. Later at “Elizium”, unfortunately we had nothing with this style. There are some good and melancholic songs, but ...”

“Zoon (1996)”

“Zoon” is a product of conceivabilities and visions which I had after “Elizium”. During the “Elizium” - tour I designed ideas for “Zoon”: I wanted to make some faster and harder things and experiments and go new ways. As we heve presented the first songs of “Zoon” to the audience for the first time, I had no anticipation how the people will react to the new style. But I knew that many people would find something within the songs – whether they are “old” Fields – fans or completely new!”

“Fallen (2002)”

“ I see no particular usage to speak about this album! I couldn´t really say anything about it because I don´t know this songs with this titles by the way!”

The Legend about the Nephilim

As the people begun to increase on earth and there are given birth their daughters, the sons of god saw that the daughters fit the mankind and they took the woman from all which they like. So Jahwe speaks: “My spirit should not be mighty forever in mankind because they are substance. His lifetime should be only 120 years”. At that time the Nephilim are living on earth (and also later) as the sons of god forgathered with the daughters of mankind and brought them children, those heroes of aeon, the famous. (Genesis 6, 1-4)

How usually is is to take a look into the bible when you want to know something about the Nephilim. The name “Nephilim” came from the Hebrew and stands for “Fallen” or “Giant” and finds – like showed above – the first reference on the 1st Book of Mose. They are considered as hybrid between angels and mankind, are bigger, more mighty and more despiteful as those. The existence of them is called as one matter why Jahwe sends the Flood on earth at the story of Noah.
When you are watching this what is not written into the bible, then you can discover more about the Nephilim and their fathers. Because in the so called “Apocryph Testaments” which are banned from the bible from early times, there you can read that the fathers are watchmen from god – called “Gregori” which came onto earth to teach the mankind about handcraft, astronomy and science. At the Book Enoch you read that the Gregori are also been watched by the arch angels and they took the wrath of Jahwe onto themselves, so he sent his angels to earth to terminate the Grigori.
What approaches to the Nephilim, so their role is not really cleared because they are appearing on many sagas and legends, sometimes as giants which are terrorising mankind, sometimes as vicious spirits. Maybe Herakles is one of the Nephilim and the childhood from the Nephilim were involved at building the Tower of Babel and they also have crafted the magic sword from the king Hrothgar at the epos “Beowulf”.
Also Carl McCoy has expressed himself at the past to the history of the Nephilim and when he talks about the story from the watchmen and their giant children, he also mentioned that they are visitors from outer space – but this, he disclaimed this a short time later again. The Nephilim – they are a mystery forever, like the a small band coming from stevenage.

“I like people like Osman Spare or Aleister Crowley. Even Crowley was a fascinating person who had many amusing lineaments which not so many people have perceived.” Carl McCoy

Carl:
“The whole album is written from a situation which describes the life after a heavy fight, when the true reality beats into your face without prewarning and you are ascertaining that everything you have believed before doesn´t exist. You could describe it as a feeling surrounded by ghosts, anytime it comes clear that you are yourself a ghost. It is not easy to explain.”

Definitely not. Just as well like the turbulent ups and downs in the younger history of the rocking mystic who costed many nerves to the sworn in fans at the last years and whose toughness is tested very hard on 2002 with the release of the “Fallen” - album. After the compilation of poor rough mixed songs and demo versions was released without knowledge and permission of McCoy, he has gone out of the publicity without any comment.

Carl:
“Some things just happen. If you have reached a defined grade of publicity as an artist you can´t control any more at some times, what recordings from you are in rotation. At my meaning the “Fallen” - album has nothing to do with the history of “Fields of the Nephilim”, it just stays on the same step like hundreds of illegal bootlegs, which even today are selled containing concerts from the last concerts.

“I was several times at the desert and every time it was cold or it rained! Some years ago I visited the Sahara and it was the worst weather there then more for 200 years! This was just awesome!” Carl McCoy

The fascinating history of “Fields of the Nephilim” which finally after one and a half decades becomes seven new chapters with “Mourning Sun”. Thereby the predominant Gothic – rock - competitors are just using the spiritual or occult stuff in their lyrics just striking, the philosophy of “Fields of the Nephilim” reached more far, even with their debut “Dawnrazor” and was stronger enlarged so far in the following time. Where other bands are handling about depressive nights of love on floury graveyards, witch – magic or perambulating vampire princes, McCoy the practising shaman is reporting from godhoods and daemons from long forgotten arcane cults, soul traveling and other extraordinary experiences and the search for the paradise. But they can´t explain much from his skills or they wouldn´t – truly a prime reason for the enormous popularity of “Fields of the Nephilim” who´s image of mystery – monger is whole cultivated by McCoy.

Carl:
“The origin of my artistry is although the same like before, but with year their influence is grown up much stronger! I can do less compromises today, supposable that makes “Mourning Sun” to the first unaltered Fields of the Nephilim – album at all! I also believe that today are things less complicated and more receptionable as then. This album is more spiritual and deeper as all which I have written in the past, otherwise the lyrics are nowvery personal and more easier accessible...”

… Which makes intensive studies of religious sciences and history plus occult literature from Austin Osman Spare, Aleister Crowley or H.P. Lovecraft to the point of the bible practicably needless. Were songs like “Wail of Sumer” or “Submission” at he last album hard enclosured and from diverse – without any special knowledge – hardly interpretable advices to magic or occult rituals and analog interstratified, but today they are really “listener friendly” and for FOTN circumstances really demystifying. But just almost. So McCoy must accept that “She” can be rated as a real love song but at the same time he makes the intention to the sub – meaning of the song and rises the short time unhinged view of the magic world back rightly. And also the Song “New Gold Dawn” accommodates with an wink to the private brotherhood “The Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn” and their prominent participant: satanist and magic - revolutionary Aleister Crowley, so it brings again lots of occult quiz fun for ambitious lyric detectives. After titles like “Moonchild” or “Earth Inferno” one of the clearest references to McCoys dark interests.

Carl:
“I don´t just want to call it an interest, it goes more far. It is a part of my personality and my whole life. I see magic not just as a free time activity it is more the contrary. Since many years ago I had some extraordinary experiences which primal brought me the interest for magic and occultism – long before I begun to make music. “New Gold Dawn” really has some eye twinkering in it. I like people like Osman Spare or Aleister Crowley. Even Crowley was a fascinating person who had many amusing lineaments which not so many people have perceived. He has experimented very much, taken the things to the limit and has written many interesting things. Most people who are occupying with him they are taking themselves to serious and so can´t find the zynism which is hidden in many statements of him! But you don´t have to take him and his teachings not too serious!”

A not to rationalise artistic inspiration and tool for Carl McCoy are the the teachings from Crowleys contemporary, the English magician Austin Osman Spare (1886 – 1956), who´s theses are based on usage of subliminal power and according to the practice of “the automatic writings”, this is how most of the lyrics are made of.

Carl:
“earlier I have written very much with this practice and this teachings are making at least today a big influence to me. I can´t say exactly why it happens or from where it comes, but it just works. I am always in a condition where I am inpirated from something and I have always a piece of paper and a pencil with me. There exist mounts of notice blocks with my writings from all the years. I have written whole books just for a base idea for a song, just to reduce it to just one row in the lyrics again, maybe.”

Fields – fanatics and McCoy – memorabilists don´t have to worry about making plans of housebreaking, maybe the collected writings and drawings should be released as a book.

Carl:
“This would be very interesting, foremost for me! So I can finally retrace where I have been since all the years and what I have done.!”

Even McCoys hearty lough can´t cloud his mystic aura which surrounds the shifting holistic artwork with thousands of hats without any doubt. In the past most of spiritual inspirated artists need took take consciousness expanding drugs to catch the visionary inspirations, so the passioned musician, photograph, artist, sculptor and movie maker apparently just has to take some calm at the evening and the isolated british landscape.

Carl:
“I can´t switch on or off this influences and can duct self – conscious to write a song. Commonly the inspirations come at an evening or at night. Often I am influenced by the atmosphere of my environment: I love extreme situations of weather – storm, cold and rain. When all the other people are happy to have a roof above the head, you will find me somewhere outside.”

In which McCoy enforcedly has to evade to far thunderstorm zones beyond Great Britain, England is usually not recognized to arctic temperatures, tropic storms or monsoons.

Carl:
“Here in England there is just real shit weather. I like to be there where it is bleak, misanthropic and cold.”

And also with hot sand from the desert he took some experiences during his short appearance on making Richard Stanley´s movie “Hardware” at the beginning of the 90´s.

Carl:
“I was several times at the desert and every time it was cold or it rained! Some years ago I visited the Sahara and it was the worst weather there then more for 200 years! This was just awesome!”

Reconstructing a coherence with the dark charisma of the gothic climate freak, whom follows the proverbial dark storm cloud on move and step like at Donald Duck comics, this would be just speculative but fits perfect into the mystic appearance of the withdrawn charismatic who doens´t has detracted himself from any “star cult” and just in the past only gives unwilling any interviews and explainings to his albums.

Carl:
“I never acclimatized to the hype of my person and I never feeled as a rock star or like a archon. I have founded The Nephilim ago to make music and not to be famous. Seeing the erpents of waiting people at the venues this was a great and also surreal feeling. It was always hard to me to believe that the people just has come due to us and that they are going home after the concert very satisfied.”

“I am heaven and hell myself.”
(from: Earth Inferno, Austin Osman Spare)

The forked reactions at the fanbase are they providing between 1993 and 1996, as McCoy realised his visions in extreme gothic metal sound with the name “The Nefilim” and archieved the album “Zoon” which spended disapproval especially to old FOTN – friends.

Carl:
“This “Zoon” - album was very compact and and reflects a extreme experimentative and creative work process against. I would reckon “Zoon” as a born and bred “Fields” - album today and I am really save that I wouldn´t be able to write “Mourning Sun” in this form when I haven´t done “Zoon” before. You can reckon “Mourning Sun” as the spiritual side of “Zoon”. It has also been a very dark album, but in counterpart to the outwardly darkness of “Zoon”, this one is handling about the darkness which you are feeling deep from the inside. I believe that certain musical influences and style notes of “The Nefilim” are today to find on “Mourning Sun” and I´m sure you´ll find them in the future again. I don´t wanted to shock the fans too much ago, because the songs are really different to the previous songs and so I released this album under the name “The Nefilim”. If you see “Elizium”, “Zoon” and “Mourning Sun” not as singular albums – just as very long songs in the whole context, maybe then this all would result in a sence. And seeing retrospective, “Zoon” was maybe not so different, just another slightly different chapter on the same journey!”

A required view backwards, which is usually very untypical for Carl McCoy and his legislatings.

Carl:
“I´m not dealing very often with the things I have made in the past, but rather I am ingrained into the today. I don´t believe that I could make anything different or change it when I could do it. All of what I have done artistically was right and necessary and this is what has made me into this what I am today. I really hope that I anyhow have alternated or advanced at the running of time. If you just bring the differences to your eyes which are laying between “Elizium” and “Mourning Sun”..., “Elizium” was a very interesting album for we have worked very hard before. For me this record is okay, the beginning and the end is very good, but we don´t came to a point during this album. As we toured with the songs of “Elizium” for the first time the fans were just really shocked! They were just only attuned to these up tempo songs from “Dawnrazor” or “The Nephilim” and suddenly we sounded like Pink Floyd! It was really hard for me to perform the songs live because they are so damn long and slow. During this epic instrumental parts I got always this feeling in me to fall into sleep in every moment. But it has came clear to me that we would split before we have just begun tor record the album. If you take a look to the lyrics of “Elizium” there is everything written! You don´t have to read them carefully. I think, Tony [Pettitt] was the only one who has read my lyrics sometimes. But I can´t say if the others ever knew or understood about what I have written.”

McCoy has today not much increased interests to the different activities of the other former participants and to the carriers or formations from common years.

Carl:
“It would be very interesting to find out what bands from our time like New Model Army or The Mission are making today. But I don´t have so much time to pay attention to the music of the others because I am so busy with my songs. I just follow unique and alone my own way an my own ambitions. A way which i´m going for more then 20 years now and which is not finished yet...”

… which maybe leads Fields of the Nephilim back on german stages again next spring when the star are standing very good! As far as they were ready, all FOTN – participants can warm up on the dark glint of the dolorious sun.

Fields of the Nephilim and their spin – offs

Fields of the Nephilim – The first generation of Goth

Founded 1985 in the British Stevenage the primal foundation with the line up Carl McCoy (voc), Tony Pettitt (bass), Peter Yates (guitar), Paul Wright (guitar) and Nod Wright (drums) recorded the way leading milestones in gothic rock “Dawnrazor (1987), “The Nephilim” (1988) and “Elizium” (1990), until they split after the release of the live album “Earth Inferno” in late summer 1991 because of some controversies in the band. At summer of 2000 the duo McCoy / Pettitt released under the old name the highly acclaimed comeback single “One More Nightmare” (a modern remake of the 1985´s classic “Trees Come Down”) and 2 years later the single “From the Fire” and shortly after it the against their despite released “Fallen” album with demo takes and rough mixes followed. Without any satisfying statements they sunk in the immersion again until front man Carl McCoy announced back again with new band members and the album “Mourning Sun” in old glance.

The Nefilim – McCoy on metallic sideways

Already in the winter of 1993, Carl McCoy has entered with his extreme goth metal project “The Nefilim” European stages. The only recorded album “Zoon” was accommodated by the Fields - fans with mixed feelings. Line up: Carl McCoy (voc.), Paul Miles (guitar), Cian Houcchin (bass, programming) and Simon Rippin (drums). But this album was released later in the middle of 1996. The last signs of life supplies by an European tour at the same year. But this was cancelled because of alleged psychic problems of McCoy and this marked the end of the short time phenomenom.

Rubicon – Restart for the rest

With their new singer Andy Delany. Tony Pettitt (bass), the Wright brothers Nod (drums) and Paul (guitar) and Peter Yates (guitar, keyboards) released at the end of 1992 the moderate prosperous debut “What Starts, Ends” which followed the also barely attended album “Room 101”. After that they split 1996.

Sensorium – underemployed workaholics

The supposedly to a row of an unreleased FOTN song called goth rockers from Sensorium brought with their first and single success with “Jahazralah” on autumn 1997 with the line up Peter White (voc.), Simon Rippin (drums), Paul Miles (guitar, background voc.) to the market, shortly after that they renamed to NFD.

Saints of Eden – hard, electronic, dark

The one – man techno, goth metal project from ex “The Nefilim” bassist and programmer Cian Houchin who as far as possible recorded alone the albums “The other Side” (1997), “Proteus” (2001) and “Overload” (2004) and who already works with the meanwhile to a whole band growed up “Saints of Eden” the fourth work.

Last Rites – hand made darkness

With their debut “Guided by Light” the Wright brothers Nod (voc., drums) and Paul (guitar), James Quinn (guitar) and Bob Ahern (bass) brought at autumn 2001 a bit topics of conversion for a short time at the gothic rock scene, after they just disappeared without traces after a barely recognized tour. The second album “The Many Forms” should be released in these days and is only available on the band´s homepage.

NFD – From the ashes upon to the gothic rock throne

From the hangover of Sensorium, at the beginning of 2003 “NFD” (Noise for Destruction) came forth: The much reputed debut “No Love Lost” was released on spring 2004. with the line up Peter White (voc. guitar), Tony Pettitt (bass) and Simon Rippin (drums). At the moment they work on their second album “Dead Pool Rising” which release is planned for 2006.
Last edited by NorthernNephilim on Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
NorthernNephilim
Nephilim

Post by NorthernNephilim » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:29 pm

Fields of the Nephilim - Sonic Seducer Winter 2005/06 (Mourning Sun Release) - Part 2 - album reviews

Album of the Month – Fields of the Nephilim – “Mourning Sun”

The Preacher Man is back. How should I begin with an condignly review of an album on which release no one has believed as far as well and from which you never have painted out on audacious dreams when it should be really released, that it would be so good. So, all good news in sequence. Fields of the Nephilim are back. A band which is a style benchmark for the British goth rock movement of the second generation. And now, these comeback is really serious. In the counterpart to the against of the band´s despite released “Fallen” curiosity which only contains rough outtakes and base ideas for new songs, “Mourning Sun” presents as a really typical Fields album. What that means? The metallic elements which dominated on the “Nefilim´s” “Zoon” are away in aid to the typical atmospheric, close guitar riffs and – really fundamental – the patented bass playing. “Shroud (Exordium)” is an mighty opener, it consenst the listener to the bombastic mood of the album. “Straight into the Light” takes now all registers and reserves grandiose, that the Fields are anno 2005 not sounding “floured”. The balance between classic style elements of the Stevenage´s primal foundation and to new production methods is just spectacular. “New Gold Dawn” sounds thanks to the McCoy´ish vocals like actualized version of a long time ago forgotten track from the “Dawnrazor” era. Meanwhile “Requiem XIII-33 (Le Veilleur Silencieux)” will satisfy the minds of the silent. “Xiberia (Seasons in the Ice Cage)” maybe is an oddment to the “Zoon” expeditions of Carl McCoy because it is one of the hardest tracks on the album. A mid tempo clacker follows with “She” which has no evidence to be fatique because to its length of 9.26 minutes. Generally the Nephilim are true to themselves in point of the length of their songs again. When the ntro with 5.44 minutes is the shortest song, then you can guess in which epic spreadings the Fields are moving again. Also in the last and name giving track “Mourning Sun”. There are enough speculation on which collaborations did McCoy for this album after all original Fields participants are fitted in other bands or projects. But it is fact that this discussion is absolutely faineant. Really basic is: The Nephs are back, attesting valour to new ideas, without kicking their legacy with metallic boots away “A thousand fingers reach out for you”.

Soundcheck “Mourning Sun”

Thomas Vogel (9 / 10): This is the album for which we have waited 15 years! A shamanic milestone.

Thomas Clausen (10 / 10): Carl McCoy makes day to night again and with “Mourning Sun” he goes further so far which has stopped with “Elizium” 15 years ago. Dark – rocky soundscapes for the spiritual travel of souls into Sumerland. I predic the prices for flour and dry ice are getting high again.

Annemarie Boehnisch (10 / 10): What congenial extrusion of goth rock after a long time. I am raptured above all dimensions., so that the written words just are hidden behind the best notes!

MaSi Krings (8 / 10): He doesn´t want to make it right for all, the good Carl. But this album went good, disclaims pleasant from airplay compatible material and has a longer post impact.

Kym Gnuch (7,5 / 10): Just the delicious chorals at the beginning are catching my admiration. But to let it crack – they are still going strong. Sometimes I get wondrous sent back to 1988. And they find always time for moments of silence.

Thomas Pilgrim (7,5 / 10): Respect for absolutely darkness, drilling consequence and vocal chord catarrh forever. Also this is what you should be able to cultivate for such a long time. Mysterious, fascinating work of darkness which is fitting the soul into ice cold, also after 15 years.

Jörn Karstedt (9,5 / 10): Bombast of sound, abysmal dark – short: masterpiece and above every disbelieve about sense and intention of a comeback in times where the x´generation of goth rock bands are affecting.

Thomas Abresche (8,5 / 10): This fulminant album release displaces you from the position into the wide “Fields of the Nephilim”, epic – coating spellings extending over them. Carl, thank you for this dark trip.

Pee Wee Vignold (8 / 10): The gladness of seeing them again makes this album better as it really is. It is seriously better then the dubious last [Fallen], but it is not the last revelation.

Medusa (9 / 10): 7 gigantic tracks for the ambitious apocalypse at home – a bear strong album on which the darkness irresistible ascends from the CD player.

Total: (8.7 / 10)
squishy
Nephilim

Post by squishy » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:56 pm

Thanks a lot, NorthernNephilim! Great you've the time - and the will - to translate it!

Bau
Nephilim

Post by Bau » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:57 pm

thanks very much for posting and the translation.

“There is a line at the lyrics of “Melt” which would characterize the “Burning the Fields” EP very good: “Innocence can be hell...” I have hated this awful saxophone which appeared in some songs. When I hear wind instruments, I become stomach cramp!”
he gets a stomache cramp :lol: :lol: :lol:
oo I feel the same way, I hate the sound of horns and often piano, it makes me cringe. If the Wind-I is something like an indian flute or oboe something not harsh is ok though it often sounds like yowling which can set me on edge *snort*

“The whole album is written from a situation which describes the life after a heavy fight, when the true reality beats into your face without prewarning and you are ascertaining that everything you have believed before doesn´t exist. You could describe it as a feeling surrounded by ghosts, anytime it comes clear that you are yourself a ghost. It is not easy to explain.”
I think he explained it perfectly *whistle*

“I was several times at the desert and every time it was cold or it rained! Some years ago I visited the Sahara and it was the worst weather there then more for 200 years! This was just awesome!” Carl McCoy
WUFF! :D

Even Crowley was a fascinating person who had many amusing lineaments which not so many people have perceived. He has experimented very much, taken the things to the limit and has written many interesting things. Most people who are occupying with him they are taking themselves to serious and so can´t find the zynism which is hidden in many statements of him! But you don´t have to take him and his teachings not too serious!”
I'll say! although really I just didn't find him to be all that clever or amusing. He was way too full of himself. I detest that, I find arrogant men to be very repulsive. I think the aliens were a bit disappointed in him as well. Although obviously a lot of it was in response to people giving him a hard time, still he brought it on himself.
“earlier I have written very much with this practice and this teachings are making at least today a big influence to me. I can´t say exactly why it happens or from where it comes, but it just works. I am always in a condition where I am inpirated from something and I have always a piece of paper and a pencil with me. There exist mounts of notice blocks with my writings from all the years. I have written whole books just for a base idea for a song, just to reduce it to just one row in the lyrics again, maybe.”
ummm its called the creative process?? *whistle* news flash, all musicians/artist do it and you don't need to practice majik and shit for it either. its something everything with a mind and will of its own is born with. I am forever astounded at the truly creative and inventive shit critters do.

“I can´t switch on or off this influences and can duct self – conscious to write a song. Commonly the inspirations come at an evening or at night. Often I am influenced by the atmosphere of my environment: I love extreme situations of weather – storm, cold and rain. When all the other people are happy to have a roof above the head, you will find me somewhere outside.”
:D *notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy*

if he want extreme weather he should come to america, this place kicks the shit out of you! extreme heat and cold , often within a few days of each other, even in the same place! hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, ice storms, drought! we got it all baby!
shackled
Watcher

Post by shackled » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:34 pm

Wow. :shock: Many Thanks, NN. *notworthy*

I miss the European music press...
I sleep with poison dreams and a borrowed hope that died.
weebleswobble
BayWatcher

Post by weebleswobble » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:54 pm

NorthernNephilim wrote:
Like that marketing, should read Get It - Or Else :lol:
The first bit sounds like Bruce Wayne, and the second bit sounds like Batman.
NorthernNephilim
Nephilim

Post by NorthernNephilim » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:47 pm

Bau wrote: if he want extreme weather he should come to america, this place kicks the shit out of you! extreme heat and cold , often within a few days of each other, even in the same place! hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, ice storms, drought! we got it all baby!
HM what idea would come to him if he gets struggled into an F5 classed Tornado? Zoon Part 777 ? *whistle* *smoking*
Bau
Nephilim

Post by Bau » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:24 pm

NorthernNephilim wrote:
Bau wrote: if he want extreme weather he should come to america, this place kicks the shit out of you! extreme heat and cold , often within a few days of each other, even in the same place! hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, ice storms, drought! we got it all baby!
HM what idea would come to him if he gets struggled into an F5 classed Tornado? Zoon Part 777 ? *whistle* *smoking*
egads that conjures up a vision of some very dark adn kooky musical version of wizard of ozz!

"just ignore that man behind those amplifies..." *whistle*

truly though this one year I was fed up and tryed to convince my drummer to go tornado chasing with me, he agreed but then changed his mind. It turn out we had record tornados where I wanted to go too :evil: I realy missed out :(
I tryed to get struck by lightning once too but it didn't work. :roll: but he got a kick out of me running around with a big hammer shaking it at the storm. (its a thor thing)
I did get a wee tornado in my yard once though in a wonderful bit of wuff. I was mad then too, looking outside at the storm, and said something like "people think they are so smart. can they make tornados?" and woosh everything went white and all the tree branches started spinning and it ripped a path through our trees , tore the hell out of them up rooted on up the street and almost flip the van. :D it was glorious!
gingerpazuzu
Nephilim

Post by gingerpazuzu » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:55 am

:D :D Very greatly appreciated NorthernNephilim *notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy* *cthulhu*
NorthernNephilim
Nephilim

Post by NorthernNephilim » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:06 am

Ok its now good 3 year ago, but

... maybe the collected writings and drawings should be released as a book.

Carl:
“This would be very interesting, foremost for me! So I can finally retrace where I have been since all the years and what I have done.!”

C´mon Carl release it, Whens no gig everyone reads a book :D